discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Ketchup

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Ketchup Reply with quote

I've had a craving for burgers loaded with mustard, ketchup, cheese, mushrooms and onions for the last few days. I didn't want to use salsa as we usually do so I looked for ketchup recipes on the net. I found one by Michael Smith who does Chef At Large and Chef At Home on the Food Network. It was fantastic.

MrBrown Will Not Eat Sugar so I left the sugar out and added about 1/2 tsp of baking soda at the end of the cooking (something I think I learned from this forum) to take away the bitterness. I thought 2 heaping spoonfuls of nutmeg was a little much but I thought, "hey, he's the chef with the TV show, what do I know?" so I put it in. Perfect! The recipe makes a lot. I put aside about 1/2 a cup for use for supper tonight--we still have most of that because really, how much ketchup do you need to put on a hamburger? I put the rest into a regular size yoghurt container and froze it for another time
whoo hoo! la la la skip stomp
http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails/recipe%5F6451.asp

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ketchup Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I've had a craving for burgers loaded with mustard, ketchup, cheese, mushrooms and onions for the last few days. I didn't want to use salsa as we usually do so I looked for ketchup recipes on the net. I found one by Michael Smith who does Chef At Large and Chef At Home on the Food Network. It was fantastic.

I've always wanted to make my own ketchup. I've seen many recipes, all so different that I didn't know which to pick. This one sounds good, and now I have a craving for burgers with mustard, ketchup, cheese (plastic cheese, of course), mushrooms and onions. Actually with all those other good things, I might even like it with real cheese.

la la la

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ketchup Reply with quote

blm wrote:
I've always wanted to make my own ketchup. I've seen many recipes, all so different that I didn't know which to pick. This one sounds good, and now I have a craving for burgers with mustard, ketchup, cheese (plastic cheese, of course), mushrooms and onions. Actually with all those other good things, I might even like it with real cheese.

la la la

Our burgers were delicious! bravo! The burgers had chipotle peppers and cilantro mixed in along with a lot of garlic and some onion. We had real cheese on them. MrBrown and the BrownBoy had round cheese (what we call Friulano); I had havarti with jalapeno. There were also fried mushrooms and onions to go on top as well as lettuce and tomatoes. Mmmm whoo hoo! whoo hoo! whoo hoo!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Victoria Plum tree in my garden and every season we start off with plum crumble, plum pie and plum fool before become sick of the sight of plums. At this point we make a few jars of plum chutney and a batch of plum ketchup. This is nothing like tomato ketchup. It is similar to HP Fruity Sauce (I don't know how widely available that is) and is especially suited to cold meats and pork pies. I'll post the recipe when I can find it.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ketchup Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Our burgers were delicious! bravo! The burgers had chipotle peppers and cilantro mixed in along with a lot of garlic and some onion. We had real cheese on them. MrBrown and the BrownBoy had round cheese (what we call Friulano); I had havarti with jalapeno. There were also fried mushrooms and onions to go on top as well as lettuce and tomatoes. Mmmm

Now that's the kind of burgers I love! The friulano sounds delicious. I often use cheddar but next time we have burgers, I think I would use bluecheese for mine - but never flat cheese (aka plastic cheese, aka cheese food product)!! Oh my no. That would be unsavoury. Roquette is also good in a burger.

David wrote:
batch of plum ketchup. This is nothing like tomato ketchup. It is similar to HP Fruity Sauce (I don't know how widely available that is) and is especially suited to cold meats and pork pies. I'll post the recipe when I can find it.

Yes, please!! I've never heard of HP Fruity Sauce but I can imagine that plum ketchup would be delicious. I'm guessing it might be along the lines of Major Grey chutney?

(I have plum tree envy!)

Bramble
registered

Slogan:

Australians Wouldn't Give A Bramble For Anything Else.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonight I ate a simple sandwich of roasted whoo hoo! with (shamefully) store bought BBQ sauce and humble cheddar cheese.
I once was told about a skip burger with Brie on top, and have been thinking about it a lot lately, but dont know where to find it. Perhaps I should break out the meat grinder myself. I think it would be delicious with a little bit of fresh mint and said homemade ketchup.
drool.

(I suppose this should be in a thread labeled, 'burgers' ? heheheh)

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bramble wrote:

(I suppose this should be in a thread labeled, 'burgers' ? heheheh)

No, it's okay, Bramble. It's still tenuously on-topic because you mentioned ketchup. bravo!

However, I hope that won't stop you from creating a thread entitled 'burger'. skip whoo hoo! la la la

Bramble
registered

Slogan:

Australians Wouldn't Give A Bramble For Anything Else.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, I've pretty much said my piece.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just remembered that I'm using Delia Smith's Plum Ketchup recipe from her "Complete" book. She has an online version here: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/r_0000000786.asp
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: