discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

testing the word censoring

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » about etherwork forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: testing the word censoring Reply with quote

I've had a problem recently with ~poke~r~ and ~ca~si~no~ websites posting their URLs in this forum. If the word censoring doesn't resolve the problem, I may have to resort to insisting on posting being allowed only by registered members.

edit: unfortunately, it looks like the word censoring doesn't extend itself to URLs.

I see two options:

1. I can disable the anchor tag
  2. I can only allow posting by registered members.
  3. Hey! That's three options! stomp I can only allow posting AND reading by registered members.

What do you all think?

second edit: I have disabled the HTML anchor tag. You can still post links by using the bbs coding:

Code:

[url]http://www.weblink.com[/url]

or

Code:

[url=http://www.weblink.com] a link [/url]

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: testing the word censoring Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
I've had a problem recently with p~o~k~e~r and c~a~s~i~n~o websites posting their URLs in this forum. If the word censoring doesn't resolve the problem, I may have to resort to insisting on posting being allowed only by registered members.

edit: unfortunately, it looks like the word censoring doesn't extend itself to URLs.

I see two options:

1. I can disable the anchor tag
  2. I can only allow posting by registered members.
  3. Hey! That's three options! stomp I can only allow posting AND reading by registered members.

What do you all think?

Does the censoring work with the bbs coding for urls? My inclination is to leave the forum open for reading and posting, but it's your call. I don't think there's such a need for membership-free posting any more, now that the logging in problems seem to be fixed. bravo!

I was thinking that making it membership-read-only would prevent google from indexing it, but it doesn't seem to be indexed anyway. At least, I couldn't get google to find anything. Question

la la la

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: testing censoring of bbs code for url Reply with quote

blm wrote:
Does the censoring work with the bbs coding for urls?

It only works for this kind:

Code:

[url]http://~poke~r~.com/[/url]
(that is a fake url)

If it seems that things get out of hand, I'll look into disabling the other kind of bbs coding for url.

Which would be a bit of a drag but there it is. I must say that I'm getting a little tired of the strangle hold that these malicious people have placed on everyone. Having to install ZoneAlarm, K9 and run virus checks and spyware detectors EVERY day is pretty disgraceful.

I'm reminded of a discussion about hacking and cracking that I read in Harper's Magazine years ago. One of the participants asked why hackers and crackers wanted to go into his computer. A cracker replied "because we can. If you don't want us there, you should lock us out". Ha. This is an increasingly difficult thing to do. It seems that the crackers/hackers are developing more and more sophisticated lock pickers.

edit: i just had a thought. Maybe I can cause
Code:
<code></code>
to surround the bbs codes for url

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: testing the word censoring Reply with quote

I don't think I would ever make the forum "membership-read-only". If I make any changes, it will be to "anyone can read but membership is required to post".

I don't know why google is not indexing these forums. Perhaps I have unwittingly put a directive on the forum folder.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: testing censoring of bbs code for url Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

Code:
<code></code>

Wouldn't that make the url just an unclickable piece of text?

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: testing censoring of bbs code for url Reply with quote

blm wrote:
llizard wrote:

Code:
<code></code>

Wouldn't that make the url just an unclickable piece of text?

Yes, you're right. That's what would happen.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » about etherwork forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: