discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Breakfast Foods
Go to page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you eat for breakfast?
Cereal and Milk
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bacon and Eggs
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
I don't eat breakfast
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
pizza
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
whatever I can grab on my way out the door
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Goldilocks
registered

Slogan:

Something Special In The Student

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Breakfast Foods Reply with quote

Do people actually eat "breakfast food?" I've never really been a fan of breakfast food myself, and have often not eaten breakfast (i know i know.. the most important meal of the day boo! ) because of there being nothing to my liking. Why is it that we confine certain foods to certain times of the day? I like eating leftover pasta for breakfast, or maybe even a burrito.

I had a roommate who HAD to sit down and eat a proper breakfast before she went anywhere in the morning. And she always had to have cereal. She told me that at another place she lived, she used so much cupard space with cereal boxes, that she had to keep them under her bed or in her closet. whoo hoo!

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakfast Foods Reply with quote

Goldilocks wrote:
Do people actually eat "breakfast food?" I've never really been a fan of breakfast food myself, and have often not eaten breakfast (i know i know.. the most important meal of the day boo! ) because of there being nothing to my liking. Why is it that we confine certain foods to certain times of the day? I like eating leftover pasta for breakfast, or maybe even a burrito.

One of my favourite breakfasts is toast with cold turkey; sometimes I have half a tortilla instead of toast. (Pause while I get some turkey out of the freezer for tomorrow ...) We usually have both cooked chicken and cooked turkey in the freezer, frozen in nice bitesized chunks, and fairly flat so it's easy to break off what you need.

I also like chicken for breakfast, but not quite as much. I usually use the cooked chicken for lunchish things like sloppy joes.

Yikes, now I'm starving, and it's bed time! la la la

But I do like some "breakfast foods" - we had pancakes this morning. Exclamation

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakfast Foods Reply with quote

I couldn't answer the survey because none of them is my choice. I almost always eat breakfast at home, but I rarely have cereal and I never have boo! eggs. Brrrrr. I do sometimes make a pizza-ish thing baked on toast; maybe that counts. la la la

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There weren't enough choices on the poll for me to answer.

I take plain yogurt and fruit to work with me. I can't tolerate anything more than orange juice before about 8:30 and since I leave for work at 7:15, it's a little too early to eat anything. I take a 750 ml container of yogurt, which lasts for 2 days, and some apple sauce or some fresh fruit cut up. I have half the amount of fruit at 8:30 and the other half at coffee time at about 10:30. Many people at my office look longingly at my yogurt and fruit and mention how healthy I am. I don't tell them that on Sundays, I eat waffles with maple syrup. at last! la la la skip stomp

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakfast Foods Reply with quote

Goldilocks wrote:
Do people actually eat "breakfast food?"

I eat a 2-egg omelette and a small glass of orange juice. This seems to be the best yet for carrying me through to lunch including quite a late lunch, even to 2 or later. I also like coffee.

I tried to create a new poll, but you can't seem to make a poll that allows a lot of choices, and you can't make one that allow you to check off "all that apply."

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Hot Pan Reply with quote

Into my hot pan goes a bit of olive oil, a diced onion, a chopped Italian sausage, an egg - this all goes onto a slice of bread and is topped with Louisiana Hot Sauce; hey, I am ready to go!

If cooked potatoes are ready, then it's time for a fritata.

Bramble
registered

Slogan:

Australians Wouldn't Give A Bramble For Anything Else.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been growing fat la la la on a regular diet of fried potatoes and two scrambled eggs. but since growing fat on said delights, I'm plotting to alter my morning meals to consist primarily of yoghurt and granola with fruit and/or nuts.
but I really enjoy the eggs and hashbrowns.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't answer the poll either, because pizza, bacon and eggs and cereal fall very neatly into my breakfast category. I also adore cold macaroni and cheese.

Goldilocks wrote:
Do people actually eat "breakfast food?" I've never really been a fan of breakfast food myself, and have often not eaten breakfast (i know i know.. the most important meal of the day )

I'm a big fan of "breakfast food" and never skip this very important meal. The only "breakfast food" that I'm not keen on is cereal and milk. The cereal gets too mushy. I prefer cereal and yoghurt. That way the cereal stays crunchy.

It's debatable whether breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I find lunch to be pretty important as well. And dinner. (I was going to add "and evening snack" but changed my mind la la la )

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Hot Pan Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Into my hot pan goes a bit of olive oil, a diced onion, a chopped Italian sausage, an egg - this all goes onto a slice of bread and is topped with Louisiana Hot Sauce; hey, I am ready to go!

If cooked potatoes are ready, then it's time for a fritata.

Damn. That sounds like my kind of breakfast. When do we eat?

- Dataryder

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: 6:45 Sharp! Reply with quote

DR, you are welcome at the brekkie table any time - just be there at 6:45 sharp or your portion will be gone!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to click on more than one breakfast choice in the poll. From Monday to Friday I eat homemade museli and soya milk. On Saturday I eat bacon sandwiches on homemade bread. On Sunday I eat either poached or scrambled eggs on toast. All accompanied by a near-lethal concentration of coffee.
If I'm away from home in the UK I'll eat fried bacon and sausage and egg and black pudding and beans and mushrooms and hash browns and toast and fresh orange and coffee.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Away from home - Mmmmm Reply with quote

That "away-from-home" menu is only missing a mixed grill and kippers for an all out best breakfast of all time!!!
I miss the black pudding I had as a child in Sweden. It came in large round slices. The only kind I've found here is small, sausage sized ones.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

I'm a big fan of "The only "breakfast food" that I'm not keen on is cereal and milk. The cereal gets too mushy.

If you have your cereal dry in one bowl and add it to another bowl about two spoonfuls at a time with some milk bravo!, it doesn't get mushy boo!.

I loathe mushy cereal; my definition of "mushy" is "less crisp than it comes out of the box". la la la

I still like cornflakes best. I had a fling with Crispix, but I don't really like them any more - have they changed, or have I Question

Mmmm, breakfast ... almost 12 hours away! at last!

Last edited by Barbara on Wed 13 Apr, 2005 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
On Saturday I eat bacon sandwiches on homemade bread.

I adore bacon sandwiches la la la for breakfast. They don't seem very popular in Canada or maybe in North America. Except for BLT's which are a whole different thing; also excellent, but they aren't in the same class as a plain bacon sandwich. stomp

At the caf at work, on the extremely rare situations when I get to work without having had breakfast and ask for some bread and some bacon, they keep trying to sneak the bread into the toaster.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:

At the caf at work, on the extremely rare situations when I get to work without having had breakfast and ask for some bread and some bacon, they keep trying to sneak the bread into the toaster.

This strangeness of needing to toast the bread for bacon sandwiches even occurs here in our kitchen. stomp Although... toasted bacon sandwiches are delicious as well.

The other thing that I find difficult to convey is the absolute need for toast to be ready at exactly the time it is going to be buttered and eaten. It's my feeling that there should be toasters placed on every restaurant table so people can toast their own bread and then butter their own toast. Ideally, toast is crispy and light on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. The butter should melt readily.

The first time I saw a whole plate of already toasted bread (already cold) placed on the breakfast table, I was horrified. It's even worse if the already toasted bread (cold) has been pre-buttered. Then it gets all flabby. boo!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: