discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Helpful Ideas for Search Engine Words

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Helpful Ideas for Search Engine Words Reply with quote

I've recently had a hand in putting together a website on how to use an abacus. ABACUS: MYSTERY OF THE BEAD

I've places some key words into the 'MetaTags' for the search engines (Google, Yahoo etc.) to find my pages. The problem is, I can only program in those words that I might use if *I* were doing the search. This makes it kind of limited to my brain alone, if you see what I mean.

Do any of you have any ideas on words and/or phrases that you might enter into search engines if you wanted to find pages on learning an abacus?

Thanks for your help.

DataRyder

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Helpful Ideas for Search Engine Words Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:

Do any of you have any ideas on words and/or phrases that you might enter into search engines if you wanted to find pages on learning an abacus?

Hmmm... of course my first response would be "why on earth would I need to learn how to use an abacus?" la la la But then I realize that the obvious answer is "why wouldn't I?" skip

I might enter:
  • abacus calculate
  • abacus "how to"
  • asian calculator instructions

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Helpful Ideas for Search Engine Words Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:

Thanks for your help.

DataRyder

I would probably try the words "learning to use an abacus" or "how to use an abacus". at last! Happy Easter! skip la la la stomp whoo hoo!

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Helpful Ideas for Search Engine Words Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:

Thanks for your help.

DataRyder

- bead calculator
- calculating with beads
- does the word abakus find your site? I know google is very clever about misspellings, so maybe it's not necessary to guess how people might misspell it (I think it's actually spelled with a k in some languages, so it might be good to duplicate all your phrases with the k version)

stomp

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 07 May, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Helpful Ideas for Search Engine Words Reply with quote

I'd probably just enter "abacus," and this brings up the right types of sites. When you do this on google, see what's on the page that comes up first... I am assuming you know.... bravo! bravo! bravo!

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. I've incorporated many of your suggestions.

It's interesting to see how different minds approach a similar web search.

DataRyder

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Sun 08 May, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Helpful Ideas for Search Engine Words Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
When you do this on google, see what's on the page that comes up first... I am assuming you know....

For Google I've done my best, since that's the search engine most often used.

Google is funny. The more links to your page from other sites, the higher ranked your pages become. In this, I have no control.

With the simple word search 'abacus' I come in at number 81.

Using a few phrases my showing improves:
Abacus instructions - #3
How to use an abacus - #9 (and #16)
Learn Abacus - #13
Abacus manual - #1
Abacus techniques - #1
Abacus history - #8

- DR

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: