discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Mr. Gadget Strikes Again - VCR/DVDR Combo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Mr. Gadget Strikes Again - VCR/DVDR Combo Reply with quote

OK, so it was a bit extravagant - but fun! Our VCR stopped working and in looking for a replacement I noticed a reasonably priced VCR/DVDR combo. This machine will play and record tapes and will also play and record DVD's. For the routine timeshifting of TV programs you can use rewriteable DVD-RW's. These cost less than tapes. You can also archive these for keepers. As well, I have a large collection of tapes dating back to the early 90's that I plan to put on disc. All in all, it's a pretty cool machine! bravo!

MAM
registered

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mr. Gadget Strikes Again - VCR/DVDR Combo Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
OK, so it was a bit extravagant - but fun! Our VCR stopped working and in looking for a replacement I noticed a reasonably priced VCR/DVDR combo. This machine will play and record tapes and will also play and record DVD's. For the routine timeshifting of TV programs you can use rewriteable DVD-RW's. These cost less than tapes. You can also archive these for keepers. As well, I have a large collection of tapes dating back to the early 90's that I plan to put on disc. All in all, it's a pretty cool machine! bravo!
:

bravo! That sounds great. Where did you get it? Is there a store in Edmonton like the one where you bought yours? We have decided we need a DVD. Being able to copy them too Exclamation Exclamation

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mr. Gadget Strikes Again - VCR/DVDR Combo Reply with quote

MAM wrote:
Is there a store in Edmonton like the one where you bought yours? We have decided we need a DVD. Being able to copy them too Exclamation Exclamation

I suspect that somewhere like "Radio Shack" (or whatever it's called now since the takeover - perhaps it's "Radio Shacked-up with the competition"?) would sell DVD players. Our DVD player is a simple version that does not record, but then it is an old machine.

MEF - your new machine records onto DVDs?!! Coooooooool! whoohoo!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Radio Shack Reply with quote

Yep, I bought it at Radio Shack ( soon to be re-branded to something like The Source at Circuit City).
I just transferred a 1997 tape onto a DVD yesterday. Kind of amazing!

Guy
registered

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gad Zooks!!
All this new technology. I can't keep up. MAM - I have seen these machines at Costco if you know someone with a membership. Also try A& B sound or even London Drugs.
Make sure it has the ability to record one medium to the other, not just play each kind.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 18 May, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Doing it properly Reply with quote

GUY is correct when he mentions features and compatibility. If anyone wants to do some reading before leaping in here is a good site http://hometheater.about.com/cs/toppicks/tp/aatpdvdvcr.htm
The extent of my own "research" was only to make sure that all the various DVD formats were compatible with the machine and that the audio output was DTS/DolbyDigital. It was just good fortune that my RCA model is also good in all other respects.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: