discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

More fun with pomelos

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I have tried a pomelo before
Yes, and it was wonderful
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Yes, and it was awful
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, but I'd like to try one
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, they sound like too much work
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
What's a pomelo?
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 04 Jun, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: More fun with pomelos Reply with quote

We first tried a pomelo (white, from China) a few months ago, and were amazed at the very firm texture and mild but excellent flavour. The pomelo itself was about 6 inches in diameter, but the rind was a couple of inches thick (there ain't no biting into a pomelo and picking off the rind with your fingers - a knife is essential). Still, the fruit was so dense that it still yielded what seemed like the equivalent of 3 or 4 grapefruits.

Even though it was so expensive (about $3CAD for 1 pomelo), we were so pleased with it that we tried another one a few weeks later. Quel horreure! It had the mega-thick rind, but the fruit inside was nasty and dry. The rind is dense too, so the pomelo was quite heavy, and we thought it should be a good one.

At the time, we thought how lucky we were to have had a good one on our first try. If we'd started with the second one, we'd never had tried again. boo!

Last night I picked up a "red" pomelo (country of origin unspecified) on the way home from work (after hefting about 20 of them to pick the one that seemed heaviest for its size la la la). More surprises! The rind was thick, but not so thick, and there were 6-10 huge seeds at the bottom of each section. (You have to cut the fruit out of the membranes separating the sections - unlike other citrus fruit, you can't eat the membranes.) The flavour of this one seems a tiny bit closer to a grapefruit, and the flesh has a tinge of pink at the edges. Still, a successful pomelo. bravo!

at last! Happy Easter! Happy Easter! Happy Easter! at last!

whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jun, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: More fun with pomelos Reply with quote

2 people in the poll wrote:
What's a pomelo?

It's a very large citrus fruit, sort of like a giant (6 inches in diameter) grapefruit but with a milder flavour.

There's a picture of a pomelo whole and cross section here: http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/kitchen/2005wi_citrus.html

la la la

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often looked at the pomelos at the supermarket and wondered about them. I was the one person who answered in the poll that they look like too much work. My real answer is that it looks like there is too much to eat and half of it would go to waste. Hmm, perhaps the BrownBoy and I will try one. When you choose one, do you choose the heaviest like when you choose a lemon? Is the skin supposed to be smooth or is it supposed to be rough? la la la la la la la la la whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I've often looked at the pomelos at the supermarket and wondered about them. I was the one person who answered in the poll that they look like too much work. My real answer is that it looks like there is too much to eat and half of it would go to waste. Hmm, perhaps the BrownBoy and I will try one. When you choose one, do you choose the heaviest like when you choose a lemon? Is the skin supposed to be smooth or is it supposed to be rough? la la la la la la la la la whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

I have been choosing the heaviest. I don't know about how the skin should be - it's been fairly grapefruit-like on the few that we've had. As far as I know, that's a good method for all citrus fruit. Maybe even for all fruit. la la la
It keeps very well in the fridge. We peel and section it when we get it and keep the sections in the fridge. I'd say it takes 5-10 minutes to prepare it. Be sure to use a knife to cut off the rind.

whoohoo! at last!

I hope you get a good one. I would feel terribly responsible if you spend a bundle and get a dud. Exclamation stomp stomp stomp

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
... spend a bundle and get a dud. Exclamation stomp stomp stomp

A couple of weeks ago, the BrownBoy and I decided to try a papaya. There was another customer selecting papayas so we asked her which one we should choose. She was quite pleased to be asked and she spent a little time picking out a perfect one for us. I'm sure it WAS a good one because it had a lovely texture but we HATED it. We really tried to like it but it was just too perfumey for us. We ate half of it and wrapped the other half up for another day. I took it to work and offered it to a colleague who said he liked papaya. He said it was a perfect papaya. I was glad for him but sorry I had spent $3 on something I really, really didn't like. I was also sorry not to have liked it. Perhaps we'll try a pomelo and have better luck. Maybe, we'll try a guava sometime too. We once tried Dragonfruit but I think it was a bad one--it was dry and darn close to taste free. skip skip skip stomp stomp whoo hoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad about the papaya, MrsBrown. Does that mean you find mangos too perfumey too?

MrsBrown wrote:
Maybe, we'll try a guava sometime too.

I adore guavas! But I have only eaten them in India. I don't even know if I have seen guavas here (I confess that I'm afraid the guavas shipped here would be dull and lifeless.) We get guava juice here sometimes and it is almost as good as a real guava - but only if the juice isn't overly sugared. la la la

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Guavas Reply with quote

I cannot imagine any fruit not available here in TO. I've seen guavas for sale at a small F&V shop near Yonge&Davisville. I've only had the guava jelly; good but not really exciting. Speaking of exotic fruit, I tried mangosteens last year from Chinatown. They tasted a bit like giant lychees.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Guava Reply with quote

I just bought a guava and tasted a slice. Crisp, juicey, mild flavour. Nice, but not wonderful.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Guavas Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
I cannot imagine any fruit not available here in TO.

I agree that just about every fruit is available. But at what quality? Consider the strawberries, for instance. They look beautiful and luscious but they taste like nothing.

This is what I fear of guavas bought here.

I gather that bananas that have ripened on the tree are unbelievably wonderful in comparison to the bananas we get... bananas that are picked so green and then chemically ripened after being shipped.

And then there are the peaches. Even local peaches in August - picked green, hard as rocks, dry and dusty tasting - Oh oh DON'T get me started! stomp

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Guavas Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
And then there are the peaches. Even local peaches in August - picked green, hard as rocks, dry and dusty tasting - Oh oh DON'T get me started! stomp
I was visiting a sibling in Ontario one year. We were driving along the highway coming back from somewhere-I-can't-remember when we passed a Fruit Stand. There were peaches that I think had just come off the tree. We stood and each ate a peach. I should say we bent over the ground with our chins out as the juice dripped down onto the dusty ground. That peach was the pinnacle of peach eating. As my sister was finishing her peach, I walked around the fruit stand to find a bucket of about 15 or so almost over ripe peaches labelled as "jam peaches". The cost was a dollar or two. We took them home and made the most amazing peach pie--no jam for us!. Oh, my goodness--what a memory bravo! . Every peach I eat is compared to that peach from about 15 years ago. bravo!

llizard wrote:
Too bad about the papaya, MrsBrown. Does that mean you find mangos too perfumey too?
Oh, my, no!! I love mangos. The papaya we got was a very large one. I wonder if there are smaller ones that are less perfumey? skip skip skip skip stomp stomp stomp stomp whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
blm wrote:
... spend a bundle and get a dud. Exclamation stomp stomp stomp

...the BrownBoy and I decided to try a papaya. ... it had a lovely texture but we HATED it. ... just too perfumey for us.... We once tried Dragonfruit but ...it was dry and ... close to taste free.

1. Papaya. I like papaya, but you may wish to try green papaya grated into a papaya salad. Look in any Thai cookbook. Much different from ripe papaya. Texture like grated carrots, but doesn't taste like carrots so I wouldn't substitute.

2. Dragon fruit is a bit mild... but when in a hot place very refreshing, possibly (partly) because it doesn't have much taste. It's not one of my favourites, though.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: