discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Why didn't I think of this before???

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Why didn't I think of this before??? Reply with quote

originally posted by MrsBrown on Sep 19, 04 - 4:35 PM

I had to make icing for a cake and the thought of stirring and mixing and adding too much icing sugar and then adding too much liquid and then too much icing sugar, etc etc was just too much. I looked at the food processor sitting on the shelf and a lightbulb went on in my head. Making icing with a food processor is the way to go!!! It was done in minutes, I had no problems with too much liquid/icing sugar and the icing had a lovely consistency.

This icing recipe is from HOME COOKING by Laurie Colwin.

Lemon (or Orange or Lime) Icing

1. Cream 1/4 cup butter. When fluffy, add the zest of one big lemon (or orange or lime).
2. Add the juice of half the lemon (or orange or lime), about a tablespoon.
3. Stir (Whirr?) in enough icing sugar to make icing, about a cup? maybe a cup and a half? I added it gradually until it looked right.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Why didn't I think of this before??? Reply with quote

originally posted by blm on Sep 19, 04 - 8:05 PM

The icing sounds wonderful. Mmm, cake.

But I think I would choose stirring over using the food processor for making icing. Cleaning up the FP seems much harder than doing the stirring. The manufacturer says "cleanup is a breeze", and it is easy to clean, but ...

The manufacturer also says how wonderful it is that you can put all the bits in the dish washer, but who has room in the dish washer for a food processor?!? And anyway, the worst part is the putting away.

I have to admit that the "add gradually" part sounds excellent. You had no too much / too little problem? Maybe next time I make icing, I will try using the FP.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Why didn't I think of this before??? Reply with quote

originally posted by llizard on Sep 20, 04 - 12:10 PM

blm wrote:
: who has room in the dish washer for a food processor?!?
:................................

Who has a dishwasher?!? (Actually I know, I know; we are the last north American household that does not have a mechanical dishwasher)

I find washing the food processor to be quite labour intensive too. I hand stir less than the amount of icing sugar I think is right icing and use my handheld blender for smoothing out the icing. The handheld really is easy to clean -just run the head and blade under a blast of hot water.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: cleaning the food processor Reply with quote

originally posted by MrsBrown on Sep 21, 04 - 9:50 AM

blm wrote:
: who has room in the dish washer for a food processor?!?
:................................

llizard wrote:
:I find washing the food processor to be quite labour intensive too.

I find the stirring of the icing labour intensive and I'd rather spend two minutes washing the food processor by hand with soapy water than stir icing for hours (or what seems like hours). blm is right, though, who has space in the dishwasher for it? I have a small food processor and even IT doesn't fit in the dishwasher.

Now, the idea of the hand held blender. Hmmmm.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: cleaning the food processor Reply with quote

originally posted by David on Sep 24, 04 - 9:21 AM
Related Website: http://www.gandhiappliances.com/IMMAGE/products/braun_mr400ca.jpg

I've never put my food processor into my dishwasher although I think it would fit on the bottom shelf but it's usually already full whenever I think about it. I love kitchen gadgets. (I think I might have mentioned this before). I have only ever made icing by hand but I think I might try a hand blender, probably the one with the multiple speed setting and two beater/blender blades that eject at the press of a button and fit easily into the cutlery basket in the dishwasher. The link above shows one of my other favourite blenders. I most frequently it use to puree soup as I can just put it straight into the pan of hot soup and run it under hot running water afterwards.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: hand blender Reply with quote

originally posted by llizard on Sep 26, 04 - 8:23 AM
Related Website: http://www.gandhiappliances.com/IMMAGE/products/braun_mr400ca.jpg

This is exactly the hand blender I use. It is perfect for icing making, and as you say, David, one just has to run it under hot water to clean it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: