discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

dessert for two

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: dessert for two Reply with quote

originally posted by blm on Sep 26, 04 - 8:37 PM
Related Website: http://etherwork.net/recipes/blackforestcake.html#choccake

Since there are only two of us, any normal recipe for pie or cake makes far too much. After we've had the treat for dessert, there is usually way more than half left over, leading to too much dessert-eating.

I've recently started making a fraction of a recipe giving exactly enough for one dessert-for-two.

Tonight I made a tiny apple cake, using 1/4 recipe (still a bit too much) of llizard's Patrushka cake recipe with cinnamon instead of cocoa and lime juice instead of vinegar, and one thinly sliced apple. I planned to make individual little cakes in ramekins, but after filling the ramekins and still having half the batter left over, I dumped it all into our mini-frying pan (about 5 inches in diameter). I sprinkled the top (before baking) with a bit of demerara sugar to create a crispy top. It was delightful - we couldn't resist eating it all. Not really so bad, since it was more than half apple - but still, next time I'll make 1/6 recipe.

The Patrushka cake recipe is great, because it doesn't have eggs, so it can easily be made in any quantity. Well, not only because of that - it's a wonderful moist cake.

Next time I'm going to make 1/8 recipe of
double-fudge pudding cake. (Drool.)

----------------------------
edit: added the link to doublefudgepudding cake -llizard

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: dessert for two Reply with quote

originally posted by CAM on Sep 26, 04 - 8:44 PM

And of course another idea is to make a full recipe and put it into cupcakes. Freeze all but two to get them out of sight, out of mind.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: in the freezer = "out of sight" but not "out Reply with quote

Subject: in the freezer = "out of sight" but not "out of mind"
originally posted by blm on Sep 26, 04 - 10:21 PM
Related Website: http://etherwork.net/recipes/blackforestcake.html#choccake

It's too easy to thaw them. And some cakes are actually better frozen; for example, double fudge pudding cake is amazing frozen. (Freeze two slices together with the gooey stuff in the middle.)

But anyway, making cupcakes and freezing them would be way too much work. Making a fraction of a recipe is somehow less work than making a full recipe. (Not counting the extra arithmetic.) Maybe because of the smaller bowl and pan.

Also, not having any left over allows for more variety.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: dessert for two Reply with quote

originally posted by J Michael on Sep 26, 04 - 9:22 PM

Hellooo.... all...recipe with no eggs... that's me for now... but alas, our Ariston 7 Chef cooker's element has crashed as of last week and the serviceman has told us the model is now obsolete. Only the 4 burners are working. We are looking around now and hope to get one before the end of the year. That's why the silence - no eggs (well, we were blessed with some at the locally owned NTUC supermarket last week, the one where you have to purchase $10 worth before you can buy 2 trays of 10's for $3.45 per tray). And so we have two trays now but no oven and today is our wedding anniversary! There is the microwave oven yet but still prefer to do our own baking. Ahh... forgot, was invited to a family friend's mother's birthday today so hopefully there will be a baked item there.

It's a big thing here, "BMI" (Body Mass Index) to be within one's age/height range and so Mr. Michael is on a program! So ever since we returned from QLD, he has put on almost all the weight he lost! Caring, Concerned Health conscious government. As far as we are aware, we have always tried our best to eat right but still under stress and many other circumstances.. the kilos crept right back on for him. Anyway, with a change to a 6-filtered water system plus exercise and diet choices, he should get back to being trim.

Thanks for the nudge...and have a blessed day!

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: baking without an oven Reply with quote

originally posted by blm on Sep 26, 04 - 10:30 PM
Related Website: http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1613,146173-247193,00.html

There are some things that are excellent baked on the stovetop. For example, Welsh cakes (see recipe above). All the recipes I've seen for Welsh cakes have eggs, but I imagine they would work ok without eggs, sort of like tea biscuits.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Happy Anniversary! Reply with quote

originally posted by CAM on Sep 26, 04 - 11:23 PM

Many happy returns of your anniversary, J Michael and Mr. Michael

With four elements at least you won't starve completely. Who needs dessert anyway?!

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: dessert for two - Anniversary celebration! Reply with quote

originally posted by J Michael on Sep 27, 04 - 12:33 PM

THANK YOU SOOOOO VERY MUCH, CAM!

We had a wonderful day and we visited our old neighbour's mother, who is 84 years old today too, so there was a kind of double celebration! And finally got to my friend's daughter, who's a finalist in the Singapore Idol. We are not so keen on the competition but just because "SHE" is in the final, we're giving her all the support she needs.

Yes, we still would have liked to have a dessert to take with us as the old lady loves Banana cake. We had taken with us a fish assam (fish in a fried mixture of lemon grass, fresh turmeric, chillies, onions, shrimp paste, candlenuts and galangal) type of dish using Dory fillets. Will have to try the stove top baking as suggested earlier. Thanks again for the wishes!

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: dessert for two -dinner questions Reply with quote

originally posted by MEF on Sep 28, 04 - 11:44 AM

When I look up "fish assam" recipes, most of the ingredients and methods seem straightforward. But, some ingedients are a bit mysterious; what are "ladies fingers", "assam jawa juice", and "candle nuts"? Belecan is readily available here as are dory fillets and galangal.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Asian ingredients Reply with quote

originally posted by J Michael on Sep 28, 04 - 11:42 PM

MEF, your "When I look up "fish assam" recipes, most of the ingredients and methods seem straightforward. But, some ingedients are a bit mysterious; what are "ladies fingers", "assam jawa juice", and "candle nuts"? Belecan is readily available here as are dory fillets and galangal." Have not learned how to get the quotes in the right format, so resorted to copy the lot above, sorry..

Ladies finger (without the 's'), I know it is very mysteriious and sometimes hilarious but we all have it hehehe.. anyway, it is a local name (Malaysia, Singapore and asian countries). It is Okra and while in Toowoomba, where the soil was extremely rich, it grew well and the very first fruits (or plants) started shooting out after 3 weeks or so and it needs puhlenty... plenty of water (that's how much it needs, so to speak). I used to water it 3 times a day and we had very large, but tender okra (ladies finger). While there, when I asked for ladies finger, they directed me straight to a section of bananas with red wax at one of the ends and then I knew! So then I remembered that it called Okra and then they knew what it was. Because the Asians eat it t'was not easily available and that's why I started to grow the plants and it was fruitful indeed.

Assam is the tamarind fruit used for their sourness in certain Malay and Nonya (Straits born, intermarriage between the Chinese and Malays) dishes. Assam Gelugor is the dried tamarind pulp and can be used as a substitute, though they come in slices.

Assam java juice is actually tamarind juice. But if the recipe calls for just the juice, then we would take, say a walnut size of tamarind paste (with the seeds), mix it in a little water and then just use the juice which would be a little thick. We like the Thai variety as it is pure tamarind and you don't have to use much as it's the real thing.

Candle nuts are cream-coloured waxy nuts that are almost identical to Queensland Bush Nuts or Macadamias, which make a perfect substitute. They are always finely ground before being added to Malay and Nonya dishes for flavour and texture. Almonds are an acceptable substitute.

Belachan as you know are cleaned little shrimps and salt, dried and then ground together and rolled into round little cakes of pinkish colour. The Penang belachan is darker and shaped into square blocks.

Galangal, you know also, is a root ingredient, much like ginger and we now know it to be blue ginger in the wet markets or the name above and is very aromatic and used in Thai and Nonya dishes.

Have just only in the last year, since returning, learned how to use the Dory fillets. They are wonderful and boneless. Works well for the Assam Fish dishes and also lately, heard that someone made cutlets out of them. They cost $4.70 a kg and frozen separately, which really makes them fresh and no fishy smell. Of course, the crumbed fish is the best.

Thanks for allowing me to explain and have a blessed day.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: