discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

PDA's - what for?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: PDA's - what for? Reply with quote

Many years ago ( say 5 or 6 ) I bought a PDA (Ipaq 1940) and thought seriously that it would be a helpful device. I ran into a huge number of problems with it that I've now solved - I'm now using it again. Are there other PDA stories out there?????

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 29 Nov, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: PDA's - what for? Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Are there other PDA stories out there?????

I don't even know what a PDA is... stomp so I googled...

MEF, you have a Primary Docking Adapter??! skip I must say I'm not surprised to hear that you had a huge number of problems with it. (Where do you store it?) whoo hoo!

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBrown has one that he got at least 12 years ago, maybe 15 so you can imagine how ancient it is. He says it's very limited by today's standards but still uses it for the hundreds of telephone numbers he has stored for his job. The key pad has broken so he can extract information but can't input things into it. His other issue is that the batteries cost at least $15 and if he had a new one, he'd want one with rechargeable batteries. He's been taking the information out of it with the idea of retiring it anad getting a new one. He'd like one that interfaces with the Microsoft email system--whatever it's called now--it used to be Outlook, maybe it still is, what do I know? I have a PMA (Personal Manual Assistant) that I buy at the dollar store every year but I call it a calendar and I use a pencil to write things in it. oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! skip stomp

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a palm pilot. It has one crucial feature that a PMA* doesn't have: alarms. It will turn itself on and beep when something is scheduled. I used to have a more hectic schedule, and carry it all the time. Now my schedule is more regular, so I rarely carry it, but when I need it, it's great.

Mine won't synch with the computer any more (Palm has very poor customer service), but it's still useful.

* A PHA (Personal Human Assistant) would have the reminder feature, but I imagine they can be annoying to carry around.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sort of PDA. My mobile phone runs Windows Mobile and apart from making calls I send and receive emails from any of my accounts and I have full internet access. Using it as a PDA is easy. It displays my next few appointments gives me an audible alarm. It is also my alarm clock. When I connect it to my computer to transfer photographs (it also has a built in camera) it automatically synchronizes my contacts list with those on Microsoft Outlook on my computer. It would synchronize emails if I used Outlook but I don't. I did in the past and maybe I will again in the future. It also has Pocket Word, Excel and PowerPoint although I have very rarely used them. Another handy feature is Notes which uses handwriting recognition. I use it as I would a notebook or Post-It notes. My wife has the same model of phone and we sometimes transfer photographs, notes or contacts by infrared or bluetooth.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: