discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Electric Ovens ??

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Electric Ovens ?? Reply with quote

originally posted by J Michael on Sep 26, 04 - 9:30 PM

Our 8 year old Ariston 7 Chef (thought to be one of the best back then) crashed and the model is now obsolete. We are now looking around for a new one to purchase before the end of the year and thought if anyone has some good ideas to look out for and we can include that in when we shop? Thanks in advance for any help in this area.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Ovens ?? Reply with quote

originally posted by MEF on Sep 27, 04 - 10:24 AM

How does an oven "crash"? I mean it's just a metal box with heating elements and controls; how does it become obsoltete? In Canada we often see stoves 30-40 years old working just fine. Elements may have to be replaced or maybe a switch or two, but not "obsolecence". What is it on your Italian stove that doesn't work? Why can't you get parts?

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Ovens ?? Reply with quote

originally posted by J Michael on Sep 27, 04 - 12:25 PM

Computers crash! And so did our oven!

Pardon me! I used the word crashed because it just tripped our circuit breaker, 4 times with the same number of loud crashes. The heating element part was causing the trips, hence it crashed. The company only told us that the model quoted was now obsolete, my understanding being they were not making any more of them. As for why we can't get the parts, the answer was still the same, "oh, you could put in an order for it and it costs $200+, but we can't guarantee you if they do have the part as the oven is obsolete." So we could not go further than that and yes we wanted to try and put the order in but the serviceman again told us, that we would be better off using the burners till they gave way, and get a new oven later on and if we still wanted one, then get a table top oven in the meantime. Yes, we were very sad as that oven was supposed to be one of the best in the range and we were hoping that we could see it last a little longer, and that brings us to our question if anyone in the forum knew of a model/brand that has a longstanding reputation at least, as it would be a really big help and we could decide from there. It is such a blessing to note that bit of info in Canada, we alas! are not that fortunate. Even our National washing machine, once considered the best, which is now 10 years old, still lookin' good, alas! is obsolete and we found that out a few months ago when the catch just under cover could not close. Once that fixed, we are trusting that it will give us a few more years.

Currently, we think the only brand that is still around since the 1940s, is the Rainbow cleaning system, which we had in 1988, but got talked into trading it in for a terrible vacuum system. This is one decision that we are really regretting but we are saving up to purchase the system in the following year, Lord willing. Thanks for asking, MEF.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Electric Ovens ?? Reply with quote

originally posted by meow =^.^= on Sep 29, 04 - 6:07 AM

Seems apliances these days have a shorter and shorter life time, despite the fact that technology alows for them to last much longer, comercial presures require that they have to be replaced sooner and sooner so they can sell more. they seem to be sold today with obselesence pre built in.

If it was me i would pull it apart and see why the element is shorting and see if any element from a similar oven would fit, or even if later models have exactly the same element.

My weller soldering iron of 25 years ago you can stil get spare parts for it, however the new one i just bought claims there will be spare parts available for it for the next 5 years, i wonder if you will stil be able to get parts for the old one when the new one becomes obselete.

Meow =^.^=

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric Ovens ?? Reply with quote

originally posted by J Michael on Sep 30, 04 - 12:20 AM

After re-reading and missing baking, am toying with the idea (MrMichael has resumed work today and will talk it over with him) of just putting in the order for the new element and see what the outcome will be. Again, my thanks to all for your much valued comments and have a blessed day.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: