discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Lunch in the Workplace

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Lunch in the Workplace Reply with quote

originally posted by MrsBrown on Jun 15, 04 - 7:52 AM

originally a starblvd post by
MrsBrown, May/19/2004 11:32:50 [-05 EST]

I'm lucky enough to have a refrigerator at my work place so I can store my lunch in there without fear of spoilage. I generally take a big salad in a plastic bowl and some salad dressing in a small container. In my salad, I have a selection of the following:

-lettuce or spinach
-leftover vegetables from last night's dinner(grilled vegetables are excellent!)
-chopped up carrot, red pepper, celery, teeny tomatoes, whatever other vegetables I have in the refrigerator
-some kind of protein eg. beer can chicken cut in pieces, a handful of cheese cubes, some chopped up ham, ...
-rice (I often make extra rice to make sure I have enough left for my salad. I LOVE sticky rice in my salad) or potatoes or not
-a few pieces of fruit--I particularly like grapes or chopped up apple, orange sections, grapefruit sections,...
-canned baby corns, jarred marinated artichoke hearts, julienned sundried tomatoes

People in my work place look in envy at my lunches and ask where I find the time to make my lunch. I ask them how long it takes to make their dry looking sandwiches and explain that it takes me about the same amount of time to make my delicious and healthy salad. I wash everything as soon as I bring it home from the grocery store (I learned that from Rachael Ray) and I'm ready to pull a few things out, throw them in my plastic salad bowl, toss a dressing together and Bob's your uncle!

What do you take for lunch in the work place?

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lunch in the Workplace Reply with quote

originally posted by msh210 on Jun 15, 04 - 7:53 AM

msh210, May/19/2004 12:12:25 [-05 EST]

>What do you take for lunch in the work place?

Alas, nothing so interesting. Usually either nothing or a sandwich; sometimes an eighth of chicken, a slice of fish, or the like (leftover); sometimes some fresh bell pepper; sometimes some leftover side dish of any sort.

I, too, look with envy on your lunch.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Mmm, lunch Reply with quote

originally posted by blm on Jun 15, 04 - 7:57 AM

blm, May/19/2004 14:49:38 [-05 EST]

Our freezer is full of things deliberately setup for me to take to lunch. We have a bit of a freezer-cram problem ...

• Leftover rice, in lunch-size packages.

• Chicken legs and thighs that have been marinated in delicious things (the most recent was marinated for a day (!) in some amazing secret concoction of my husband's) and then baked. These get divided up into small sandwich bags ready to be snatched for lunch. (Or sometimes they get put together into large bags.)

• Roasted turkey meat, removed from the bone, packaged so it's easy to pull off whatever amount is needed. I often have turkey meat for breakfast, too.

• Various leftover stewish things. We deliberately make extra so there will be leftovers. We put the leftovers in sandwich bags so they will be lunch-sized portions.
    Dhansak dal (this recipe from llizard's recipe site is very close to what I make, but I don't put chicken in any more, although I do use chicken stock). I make a double batch every once in a while so there will be lots in the fridge (packaged, as usual, in lunch-sized portions in sandwich bags). When I take this to work, I also take a tortilla that I heat up in the microwave. (We've been out of dal for a week or so now ... a very bad situation.)

We have a refrigerator here at work, and I could keep salad dressing, and bring a salad to go with my other lunch things, but I lazily buy a salad-bar salad at our caf. (Maybe I'll rethink this ...) So for lunch, I usually buy a salad and have one of my other delights. Occasionally, with say a leftover stew or biriyani or whatever, I just pour a half-cup of frozen peas into the sandwich bag and have that instead of a salad.

If we have leftovers, I never take them to work the next day. I always freeze them for a later day.

Originally, we used reusable plastic containers for all this, but they take up too much room.

Once in a while I take a sandwich, or rather, the makings for a sandwich. I do this when we have some roast beef or pork leftover. On those occasions, I often have a sandwich for breakfast, and it's so good I have to have one for lunch too.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Lunch not at work Reply with quote

originally posted by David on Jun 15, 04 - 7:58 AM

David, May/20/2004 04:47:57 [-05 EST]

My house is only an 11 minutes car journey from work so most days I take lunch at home with my wife. Lunch can be anything from leftover lasagne at the breakfast bar to casear salad on the patio. My journey home passes about a dozen places to eat so we tend to meet for lunch about 6 times a month too. It might pastrami in panini with cappucinno in a trendy coffee bar or chilli con carne and pils in a pub beer garden by the river. Although I'm often reluctant to return to work in the afternoon, when I do I'm fully recharged and ready for action.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: