discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Excellent salad

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Excellent salad Reply with quote

Subject: Excellent salad
originally posted by MrsBrown on Jun 16, 04 - 10:54 PM

I'm so glad this forum has been recovered in a new venue and I can tell you all about my wonderful salad.

MrBrown receives Kraft What's Cooking magazine. We're not sure how or why but we read it anyway. There was a section in the latest one about outdoor entertaining. One of the recipes was for Tuscan Bread Salad. It calls for toasted Italian bread, arugula, tomato, cucumber, shredded parmesan cheese and (brr--Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing). I made a salad for lunch with some wonderful onion rye bread that I chopped up into chunks, some lettuce from the garden, a chopped up tomato, chopped up cucumber, a bit of pepper jack cheese and a simple vinaigrette made from tarragon vinegar, olive oil and some fresh chopped basil and parsley. I neglected to toast the bread before chopping it up so I just threw it into my salad just before I put the dressing on. It was fantastic. The dressing soaked into the bread but not enough to make it disgusting and mushy. My colleagues were envious as usual while they ate their dry cheese sandwiches and apple that had been in the fridge for a month.

As an aside, I just did a spell check on what I've written and it wants to change "MrBrown" to "Marrow".

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Excellent salad Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Excellent salad
originally posted by MEF on Jun 17, 04 - 9:13 AM

Hmm....somehow I just cannot see the connection between Mr.Brown's repugnant magazine and the way you make lunch for yourself; is there one? Wait, now I see: whatever it says, avoid - right?

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Excellent salad and repugnant magazine Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Excellent salad and repugnant magazine
originally posted by MrsBrown on Jun 17, 04 - 9:49 AM

It was the idea of the salad that caught me. It looked delicious in the picture even though I knew it had that impossibly sweet Zesty Italian dressing. If I had arugula in my garden, I would have used that but we don't grow arugula, I'm not sure why, and I did use tomato and cucumber as the recipe suggested.

While I don't particularly like the Kraft Kitchen recipes, they do put out some nice pictures of food. It's just when I read the recipes that I cringe. There's SO much sugar! and as you all know, sugar is the Root Of All Evil.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Kraft Kitchens Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Kraft Kitchens
originally posted by llizard on Jun 18, 04 - 8:41 AM

: While I don't particularly like the Kraft Kitchen recipes, they
: do put out some nice pictures of food. It's just when I read
: the recipes that I cringe.
:.......................................

When the Kraft Kitchens Experts (did anyone notice that there appeared to be no men in the Kraft Kitchens?) were still publishing weekly recipes and tips in the Toronto Star TV guide, the pictures were invariably dreadful and decidedly unappetizing. But I loved reading those whacky gals' recipes just so I could see how many words I could read before cringing.

Alas, they have stopped publishing in the Toronto Star magazine so I don't get to see "diced green pepper", "Zesty Italian dressing", "microwave", "deluxe macaroni dinner", "Kraft singles" and "miniature marshmallows" all in the same recipe any longer.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Excellent salad , arugula, cheese and grapes Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Excellent salad , arugula, cheese and grapes
originally posted by llizard on Jun 18, 04 - 8:54 AM

The salad sounds good. (It reminds me of the bread soup I had in Tuscany - great soup!) I bet not toasting the bread is better than toasting the bread. This sounds like another possibility for that lean cornbread that we make for grilling on the barbecue.

: If I had arugula in my garden, I would have used that but we
: don't grow arugula, I'm not sure why, and I did use tomato and
: cucumber as the recipe suggested.
:............................................

About a month ago, we got a bunch of arugula from the supermarket to add to our salad. The roots were still attached so I left a few leaves on each root and planted them all in various spots in the garden. Amazingly, they are all thriving and have started to produce new leaves. Whoohoo!! Bread salad for us soon!

We recently bought Toscanello cheese at our cheese store because decent Parmeggiano is so prohibitively expensive. The Toscanello is about $10/kilo less (I think it was about $22/kilo) and really really good. Instead of the pepperjack that you used, Mrs.Brown, I think we will use Toscanello. At least, we will if we haven't eaten all the Toscanello for dessert the night before.

Toscanello and red globe grapes is the perfect dessert! The red globe grapes have seeds but a whole lot more flavour than the seedless varieties of grapes available to us.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: