discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Music to paint by

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jun, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Music to paint by Reply with quote

A few years ago, we were given a 2 CD set called The Greatest Classical Album. Today, as we were painting, we listened to it. I have to say that for painting (4 walls with 2 coats, 3 walls with 1 coat), the best music was Jupiter from The Planets by Gustav Holst followed closely by Bolero by Maurice Ravel. O Fortuna by Carl Orff was also excellent painting music. Pachelbel's Canon, while a lovely piece of music, albeit overplayed, was not particularly good to paint to.

If there is more painting to be done, what other pieces of music would you suggest? stomp at last! whoo hoo!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Music to paint by Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I have to say that for painting (4 walls with 2 coats, 3 walls with 1 coat), the best music was Jupiter from The Planets by Gustav Holst followed closely by Bolero by Maurice Ravel.

I'm surprised that Bolero was a good choice. For me, it is just too repetitive.

I wonder if Bizet's Carmen Suite might not be good (I'm thinking of the Toreador March) and perhaps Verdi's "Anvil Chorus" from Il Trovatore.

And there must be some good ballet music. What about Prokoviev's AND/OR Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliets? (I would not recommend Stravinsky's Rite of Spring - unless you want the paint job to be a little messy.)

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 19 Jun, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Music to paint by Reply with quote

Yes, Bolero would be excellent if one didn't go into a trance with the sheer length of it.

I seem to recall some Bach preludes and fuques to be not bad as housework music many years ago when I used to do housework. Some of them have quite vigorous, driving qualities in the hands of Glenn Gould. Possibly good for painting? Some of the Beethoven Symphonies might be fine, too.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Wrong track(s) Reply with quote

For painting I would recommend Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or early James Taylor.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong track(s) Reply with quote

Chopin mazurkas and waltzes would be excellent to paint by.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wrong track(s) Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
For painting I would recommend Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, or early James Taylor.

I concur. I might also listen to The Eagles when painting or even Crowded House if there was nobody to hear me singing along.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: