discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

WHAT a nightmare.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » about etherwork forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: WHAT a nightmare. Reply with quote

I have just reinstalled the forum entirely.

I think things are running correctly again... I had to physically remove all the forum files from the server. Last week, we got a notice that there was a phpBB Security Exploit that affected all phpBBs that were lower than version 2.0.16.

I thought I was okay because mine was at 2.0.19. And then on Friday, I got an email from my webhost saying that my forum had been compromised and telling me I MUST upgrade....

What I hadn't realized was that a couple of modifications I had made were still at 2.0.11, not to mention that this forum does not use the default theme template "SubSilver". I use "Classic". Some of those files were at 2.0.16 - and possibly lower. (I maintain another forum on another server - that one uses "SubSilver" and should be fine.)

In the process of doing all this uninstalling and reinstalling, I do believe that I made every mistake it was possible to make. Hey! Do I get a medal for being best at mistake making? la la la

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: WHAT a nightmare. Reply with quote

llizard wrote:
I have just reinstalled the forum entirely.

Hurray! bravo!

llizard wrote:
In the process of doing all this uninstalling and reinstalling, I do believe that I made every mistake it was possible to make. Hey! Do I get a medal for being best at mistake making? la la la

Sounds like an horrid experience.

Oh oh

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: WHAT a nightmare. Reply with quote

blm wrote:
llizard wrote:

Sounds like an horrid experience.

Oh oh

It was quite horrid. Especially at one point when I realized that I had changed almost all the code in about 10 of the WRONG files and had to start ALL over Arrow does anyone know how to remove angry spit from the monitor and keyboard? stomp

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the slogans and I happen to know that Nicky the Black Dog changed her slogan but it doesn't appear in her messages. Didn't the slogans used to appear? Is it something to do with the reinstalling (which I think you did brilliantly except for this one very very small point). at last! at last! at last!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 28 Apr, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I was looking at the slogans and I happen to know that Nicky the Black Dog changed her slogan but it doesn't appear in her messages. Didn't the slogans used to appear?

Eeeek!!! stomp You're right! The slogans aren't showing up here at all. Thank you for pointing it out, MrsBrown.

I didn't notice. I'll have to go ferretting(sp??) through my old files to see what I did to make them appear.

edit a few moments later:
MrsBrown wrote:
except for this one very very small point).

Oh oh small point?! I think the slogan on the sidebar is one of the most important details. I can't believe that I didn't notice that it was missing! WHAT a blunder.

Luckily, it didn't take me too long to find the missing coding to insert skip

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: And another nightmare is over... Reply with quote

And another nightmare is over... well, until the next upgrade, anyway. stomp

I have just upgraded the forum to the latest release. As far as I can tell, everything is now ( Oh oh or not* Oh oh ) working as it was before.

* I know. The colour changer is NOT working. boo! I'll try to fix it soon... when I add the dog emoticon... or something la la la

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » about etherwork forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: