discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Pea Shoots

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Pea Shoots Reply with quote

Subject: Pea Shoots
originally posted by MEF on Jun 23, 04 - 8:02 AM

Yesterday while shopping at an Asian supermarket I bought a bag of pea shoots fo the first time. I made a salad of shoots and scallions with vinagrette - it was really good. I didn't realize that these are pea plants cultivated only for the tips.

"If you've visited any regional restaurants lately, you may have eaten pea shoots, the young tender vine tips of green or garden peas.

Pea shoots are commonly served fresh in salads or as a garnish, or are lightly steamed or sautéed in stir-fried Asian-style dishes.

The top 2 to 6 inches of a younger pea plant, pea shoots are harvested to include two to four pairs of leaves and immature tendrils. They may also include small flower buds and blossoms. These shoots have a mild "pea pod" flavor and are delicate, crisp, light and refreshing.

The Hmong people of Southeast Asia introduced pea shoots to this country. Hmong farmers also introduced pea shoots to farmers' markets in the Pacific Northwest. "

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pea Shoots Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Pea Shoots
originally posted by llizard on Jun 23, 04 - 10:36 AM

Ah yes, pea shoots!! I love them stir-fried with just a little garlic (and maybe some chopped ginger too) then tossed with some soysauce/sherry/cornstarch

Now, why don't we remember to get them?? Perhaps it's because we're distracted by the beautiful looking sugar snap peas....

(Who wrote the quoted passage in your post, MEF?)

Cool idea to use pea shoots in a salad!

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Pea Shoots Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Re: Pea Shoots
originally posted by MEF on Jun 23, 04 - 10:55 AM
Related Website: [url=http://www.growersguide.com/ag_newsfeb04f.htm[/url]

Bad form, quoting without attribution. The quote was from an article by Carol Savonen, Oregon State University on a website called growersguide.com.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Pea Shoots Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Re: Pea Shoots
originally posted by MEF on Jun 25, 04 - 10:03 AM

OK, so I served them raw in a salad at first, and, since reading your posting, I tried a braising/stir frying of bok choy, three colours of bell peppers and a big pile of pea shoots yesterday - makes for a wonderful (and quick) adjuct to the meal of braised rump roast and potatoes.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: