discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Is it just me?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Is it just me? Reply with quote

...or have the posts from November disappeared?
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it just me? Reply with quote

David wrote:
...or have the posts from November disappeared?

I'm trying to remember if anyone has actually posted since November began... things have been on the slow side in this forum.

edit: But I'll take If I could, I would take a peek at the backup to see if gremlins have been fooling around in here but the last backup I made was on 30 October.

If people notice that their posts from 31Oct2006 on are missing, please let me know.
. stomp

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I didn't imagine a post by MEF that mentioned a recent culinary discovery... ooh what was it... a cheese.. no, a vegtable...? Curse my feeble brain. Wasn't there a reference to the store owner's delight every time he walked in the door because of the opportunity to sell his obscure products?
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Thu 09 Nov, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I'm sure I didn't imagine a post by MEF that mentioned a recent culinary discovery... ooh what was it... a cheese.. no, a vegtable...? Curse my feeble brain. Wasn't there a reference to the store owner's delight every time he walked in the door because of the opportunity to sell his obscure products?

Yes!! Quark? I heard it mentioned on the radio today and thought of MEF's post but it's not here.

MrBrown has been known to buy obscure products. Once he came home with some canned event that, when we opened it, started to ooze. We looked at it and wondered if it was supposed to do that and decided that oozing was not something we wanted to try.

I think I tried quark once a long time ago in place of ricotta cheese? It was so long ago that I can't remember. oh boy!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
David wrote:
I'm sure I didn't imagine a post by MEF that mentioned a recent culinary discovery...

Yes!! Quark? I heard it mentioned on the radio today and thought of MEF's post but it's not here.

Yes, I remember now! The page with the post title is in the google cache.
google cache wrote:
Quark Cheese | MEF | 0 | 14 | Wed 01 Nov, 2006 4:22 pm
But I'm afraid the post itself does not appear to be cached. (etherwork.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=443) Perhaps MEF deleted it?

MrsBrown wrote:
MrBrown has been known to buy obscure products. Once he came home with some canned event that, when we opened it, started to ooze. We looked at it and wondered if it was supposed to do that and decided that oozing was not something we wanted to try.

Why do I suddenly have a desire to click on the chicken emoticon (bawk bawk bawk bawk!!)? whoo hoo! (Of course, I'm not really big on trying things that ooze either. Especially things that ooze out of cans that have possibly been sitting on a shelf gathering dust and generating plenty of ooze inside the seal for a very long time. la la la)

MrsBrown wrote:

I think I tried quark once a long time ago in place of ricotta cheese? It was so long ago that I can't remember. oh boy!

I recently heard of a potato and quark dish that is traditionally served in Eastern Germany - boiled potatoes with quark and linseed oil (really!!). And did the fellow say there were chives involved as well?? Or onions? Here is one recipe I found by googling: Pellkartoffeln mit Quark und Leinöl

I must say that I've not seen linseed oil on food store shelves. I've only seen it sold as furniture polish.... But I would be willing to try this dish if someone else made it. I'm not sure that I want to actually make it myself... not to mention that I keep forgetting to look for quark in the dairy case at the store.

MEF, what did you think of the quark that you bought?

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: The Missing Quark Reply with quote

Yes, I'm the culprit! I had posted a comment about buying a tub of quark for the first time. In the post, I had inserted a link to Wikipedia. When I went back to look at the post I saw that the link wasn't shown as hypertext. When I tried to fix this, I ended up scrambling the rest of the message. As there were no responses, I thought deleting it would be O.K. Well, was I wrong, or what?!

So, was it good? Yes it was; a bit like ricotta, but not cooked. It has a nice "bite" like yogurt. I still haven't used it in a dish.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 10 Nov, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Missing Quark Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Yes, I'm the culprit!

MEF, I'm SO relieved to hear that it was you rather than some malicious foreigner hacking into the forum.

MEF wrote:
When I went back to look at the post I saw that the link wasn't shown as hypertext.

And I'm the culprit for that. I had gone in and edited the link to changed it from looking like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_%28food%29

to become this:

wikipedia - quark (food)

Then I was just about to post a comment right after doing that and was suddenly called away from the computer. I completely forgot that I hadn't actually posted the comment... Oh oh

(As I recall, there was a quite different insanely long URL for that wikipedia entry. I'm glad to see that someone at wikipedia fixed it.)

MEF wrote:
So, was it good? Yes it was; a bit like ricotta, but not cooked. It has a nice "bite" like yogurt. I still haven't used it in a dish.

Hey! Maybe your grocer with the obscure products has some linseed oil on hand so we can

1. live vicariously by you having our Pellkartoffeln mit Quark und Leinöl and eating it too. whoo hoo!
  2. let us know if we neeeeeeeeeed to make it too. whoohoo!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever used Linseed Oil as a wood preservative/hardener. The idea of eating it just seems wrong.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I've only ever used Linseed Oil as a wood preservative/hardener. The idea of eating it just seems wrong.

Of course your initial reaction was my initial reaction. But then I realized that linseed is another name for flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum) - I gather that flaxseed is considered to be one of the antioxidants. (I realize I HAVE eaten flaxseed in bread and thought nothing of it. skip)

David, would it make you feel better if it were called flaxseed oil?

Here's something interesting I found as I was googling:
healingdaily.com wrote:
Flaxseed oil is made more effective when 2 tablespoons of the oil are added to 1/4 cup of cottage cheese. The essential fats bind to the proteins in the cottage cheese making them more easily absorbed by your body.

healingdaily.com - flaxseed

And from what I have gathered about quark, it is pretty similar in properties to cottage cheese... those Eastern European peasants were clearly onto something when they developed that potato/linseedoil/quark dish!

Apparently, flaxseeds can be ground and used as an egg replacement

Having said all that, I don't think I would pour the linseed oil sold as furniture polish over my potatoes. Who knows what else is added to that?!

wikipedia - flax
The SpiceRack - flaxseed
WHFoods - health benefits of flaxseed
plants for a future -

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Good Stuff That Oil Reply with quote

I eat 1,000 mg of linseed oil per day. I've never tasted it though, as it comes in gelatin capsules.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linseed = flax
flax --> linen
Tasty.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Just for you, David Reply with quote

OK, David, just for you - I've tasted the stuff - not great, not even good. I speared a capsule and tasted the contents - do not try this in your own home. It has numbing qualities as well as a not great taste.
Hail furniture refinishing!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: