discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

PDA's - do you use one?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: PDA's - do you use one? Reply with quote

Subject: PDA's - do you use one?
originally posted by MEF on Jun 25, 04 - 9:54 AM

With the huge proliferation on handheld PDA's now available, I'm curious how widespread their use is among the select 'lizard' group. Both Mrs. MEF and I have used mid-range Palms for several years and find them useful for organizing, reminders, scheduling, etc.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: PDA's - do you use one? Reply with quote

Subject: Re: PDA's - do you use one?
originally posted by llizard on Jun 25, 04 - 1:22 PM

Before reading your post, MEF, I didn't even know what a PDA was...

Here is what I thought of:

• Professional Darts Association
    (but that couldn't be right because one wouldn't USE an association)

• Police Dog Ambulance
    (no no, that's just ridiculous)

• Pie Dough Accelerator
    (hmmm, probably not....)

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: PDA's - do you use one? Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Re: PDA's - do you use one?
originally posted by CAM on Jul 10, 04 - 1:34 AM

I thought it was a Public Display of Affection. But unlike llizard (a lluddite?) I want one. I also think I need a tri-band cell phone.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: PDA's - do you use one? Reply with quote

originally posted by David on Jun 25, 04 - 3:08 PM

A PDA is one of the few gadgets that I don't use. My life isn't complicated enough. I use a year planner wall calendar upon which I write details of significant events. (Being able to see a whole year at once prevents events sneaking up on me unexpectedly). I have also have an address book and a book containing all the birthday dates of family and friends. Surely there's a name for this sort of book? PDA's score very high in my "wow that's cool" rating but if I haven't got one by now I don't think I ever will.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Does your wall caledar beep? Reply with quote

Subject: Does your wall caledar beep?
originally posted by MEF on Jun 25, 04 - 7:28 PM

Hey David, why not a handheld? You can see the entire year AND have a reminder the day before to buy a prezzie!

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your wall caledar beep? Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Does your wall caledar beep?
originally posted by David on Jun 28, 04 - 8:22 AM

Surely a handheld would have to have a screen as big as a door to display an entire year's worth of information? I can see why people with very busy schedules that are frequently changing need PDA's and if I had problems with remembering appointments or events it's just the sort of gadget that I'd love. But if I really needed one I would already have one.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: 3 cheers for automatic reminders Reply with quote

Subject: 3 cheers for automatic reminders
originally posted by blm on Jun 25, 04 - 11:17 PM

The first PDA I saw seemed relatively pointless. I didn't see any advantage to having data stored electronically that could just as easily be kept in a notebook (and data entry would be a zillion times easier with a pen than for the PDA).

But the one I have now has an alarm feature in the calendar. Being able to get an audible alarm x minutes, hours, or days before an event is a boon.

Also, the data-keeping part is more useful than I expected. In the past, I would write things down various places, and then forget where. Now I write them in my PDA.

Oddly, as I write this, I am temporarily without my PDA (a Palm Pilot) - it has crashed and won't wake up. Although I really liked a lot of aspects of it, if I have to replace it, it won't be another Palm - I wasn't impressed with their service.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 cheers for automatic reminders Reply with quote

Subject: Re: 3 cheers for automatic reminders
originally posted by llizard on Jun 26, 04 - 12:55 PM

3 cheers indeed. I have a wonderful little alarm installed on the computer here that has saved me from horrible embarrassment on several occasions. It probably has a sound option but I invariably have the speakers turned off. It's enough that the alarm pops up on the screen.

Since I started using it for library book duedates, I haven't had to pay any fines. You may not know how wonderful this is, but suffice it to say that I am no longer the major source of funds for new books in the fiction wing of our branch library.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 cheers for automatic reminders Reply with quote

Subject: Re: 3 cheers for automatic reminders
originally posted by msh210 on Jun 28, 04 - 1:29 PM

Quote:
But the one I have now has an alarm feature in the calendar. Being able to get an audible alarm x minutes, hours, or days before an event is a boon.

Also, the data-keeping part is more useful than I expected. In the past, I would write things down various places, and then forget where.

Yes, precisely. It's a good gadget.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PDA's - do you use one? Reply with quote

Subject: Re: PDA's - do you use one?
originally posted by MEF on Jun 30, 04 - 9:27 AM
Related Website: [url=http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/ipaq_1940.htm[/url]

I should have added in my original post a warning to anyone thinking of buying a PDA to stay away from the Palm 500 series (heck, all Palm products) as their OS, support, and hardware are all miserable. Mrs. MEF has recently updated to the HP iPaq 1940 which has a much more robust OS.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: