discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

'Saturday' by Ian McEwan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: 'Saturday' by Ian McEwan Reply with quote

There must be something wrong with me.

In the thread entitled It's time to think about Summer Reading,
blm wrote:
I finally read Saturday by Ian McEwan - wonderful.

I have just recently finished reading Saturday. Finally.

When I was about a third of the way through, a colleague asked me what I thought of it. I told him I was thinking of aborting. It just wasn't capturing me and felt like a bit of a slog. He said that he had absolutely loved Atonement and that he remembered having a bit of difficulty getting into it. He had not yet read Saturday but his wife had and she had loved it.

The next day, there was a message on my machine from him:

Quote:
Do not abort the book. Do NOT abort the book... my wife says you have to wait til something critical happens and then you won't be able to put it down.

and so I persevered. And about half way through, something happened that made me want to keep reading. I couldn't put the book down... for about two more pages; the slogging resumed. So I thought perhaps I hadn't reached the critical moment yet. And I slogged on. And on. And on. And then in the last 3 pages or so, I was hooked.

Hmmmm, it doesn't really seem that it was worth the effort. stomp

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt the same about Atonement and when I finished slogging through it, I realized I really liked it. Perhaps I'll give Saturday a try.

I'm supposed to be reading The Glass Castle for my book club but alas, it won't be available from the library until well after my book club meeting. I started reading it in July but there was too much slogging to do. Oh, well, shrug. It's not like I'll be the only one who hasn't read the book; at one book club meeting, I was the only one of 6 who had read the book.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Slogging?? Reply with quote

I don't know about you two, but, when I pick up a book that I'm reading for pleasure, I'll only give the author 50 pages to "connect". If he/she doesn't it's bye-byes. I therefore don't really understand "slogging"; like, what for? It's not like reading something that's required for a course, for example; it's only for your own pleasure, right? In my view, there are more books published than I can ever read in my finite life and therefore this sort of triage is needed (in my humble opinion).

As for Ian McEwan, I've enjoyed all that I've read of his so far; Atonement the most, but The Cement Garden a close second.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 20 Nov, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Slogging?? Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
when I pick up a book that I'm reading for pleasure, I'll only give the author 50 pages to "connect".

I'm not as generous as you, MEF. My personal rule is to only give the author one paragraph. And I actually loved the first page of Saturday. So when it started to lose me, I just couldn't believe it and kept reading. So many people had said it was great.

However, I'm not likely to be that forgiving again soon and it will be a while before I get Atonement out of the library and crack open to read the first paragraph and decide whether I'll persevere. And I'll remember what happened with Saturday if the first paragraph of Atonement is great and then the immediately following pages go immediately downhill.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I find myself with no interest in the characters or not caring how a book ends, I have no hesitation in abandoning a book, no matter how many hours I've spent on it. It's the same attitude as I have with TV, switch off or change the channel.
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 21 Nov, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
If I find myself with no interest in the characters or not caring how a book ends, I have no hesitation in abandoning a book, no matter how many hours I've spent on it.

Usually, I am the same way. But when I was first reading "Saturday", I was trapped on a long subway journey, with nothing else to read other than the mind numbing advertisements above the windows. I would have tried to read other people's books over their shoulders but

a.) they don't read at the same speed as I do
b.) they put their hands over parts of the pages that I'm trying to read
c.) they get off the train right in the middle of interesting parts of their books
d.) my eyesight is worse than it used to be and I can't make out the small print on a book further away than arm's length. (I haven't yet tried to wrestle a book away from an unsuspecting passenger)

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Solutions Reply with quote

Have you tried these lines:
"you know, I meant to read that book; should I ?"
" his life seems so ordinary, don't you find?"
" what do you think of the opening?"
" are you reading that book upside down just to frustrate me?"
" what would you do if a killer walks into your home"

etc.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 28 Nov, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Solutions Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Have you tried these lines:
"you know, I meant to read that book; should I ?"
" his life seems so ordinary, don't you find?"
" what do you think of the opening?"
" are you reading that book upside down just to frustrate me?"
" what would you do if a killer walks into your home"

etc.

But that would mean I would have to engage them in conversation! I just want to mind my own business (cough) and quietly read their books over their shoulders when it turns out my book is deadly dull....

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: You're right Reply with quote

I guess there's not much left then but to click on your Ipod and listen to an e-book or Quartet Gelato.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: