discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

A really good movie
Go to page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: A really good movie Reply with quote

Last night we saw a movie called "Little Miss Sunshine." We both thought it delightful and one of the best we've seen in a while. Very funny, very quirky and very cute.

I'm told I have to post this one caveat, although I don't remember it being there...

===>caveat
I'm told that the movie had a little salty language.
<=== end caveat

Link to a review from Rotten Tomatoes
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/little_miss_sunshine/

DataRyder

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

I've heard very good things about this movie from other sources. I tried to get MrBrown to go but he couldn't bring himself to see a movie with such an unfortunate title. I'll tell him of what you said. oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! skip stomp skip la la la

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
he couldn't bring himself to see a movie with such an unfortunate title.

I too was a little reluctant because of the title and one of the official reviews on the poster that said the movie was "heartwarming". (gag. "Heartwarming" movies make me carsick.)

However, one can safely disregard both the title and the fear of a saccharin story. It was a very satisfying movie - one of the best I've seen in a long time. (There IS a little relatively coarse language from two of the characters though...)

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Sat 23 Dec, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
[...] I tried to get MrBrown to go but he couldn't bring himself to see a movie with such an unfortunate title. I'll tell him of what you said.

I know what you mean. I had reservations too, but it turned out to be a really fun movie.

Dataryder

P.S. I forgot to mention that we actually rented the movie.

Goldilocks
registered

Slogan:

Something Special In The Student

PostPosted: Sat 23 Dec, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

I saw that movie a few months ago... and had not laughed so hard in a very long time. Everyone in the theatre was histarical, it was quite amusing!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A really good movie Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:
Last night we saw a movie called "Little Miss Sunshine."
===>caveat
I'm told that the movie had a little salty language.
<=== end caveat

We took the recommendations on llizard's forum and rented it. Yes, quite a lot of the language is crude. Definitely not a film for families with young children. This film is also not for those wanting an amusing, light comedy, and it's definitely not a tear-jerker. While there are many hilarious episodes in the film, and the acting is wonderful, the overall tone of the movie is quite dark. In fact, we almost turned it off not on grounds of offence, but on grounds of boredom, until some things started happening well into the movie. If you want to keep watching, you really do need to watch to the very end. Do not read the following if you have any intention of watching the movie -- I haven't revealed what actually happens, but...
Spoiler (highlight to read):
We appreciated the hilarious satire on beauty pageants, and particularly children's beauty pageants.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

re: "Little Miss Sunshine."

CAM wrote:
we almost turned it off not on grounds of offence, but on grounds of boredom

Exclamation Exclamation Boredom Exclamation Exclamation

I completely understand that the language may be considered as too offensive for many. (I'm still surprised that I seem to be the only person in our house who thought this.) But I can't imagine anyone getting bored!

And yes, it's not exactly an "amusing, light comedy". Nor is it suitable for young children. Excuse me if I gave that impression. I think it is an amusing, dark comedy.

But there it is, chacun à son goût... Me, I really liked it and I'd even see it again.

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

CAM wrote:

[...] We took the recommendations on llizard's forum and rented it. Yes, quite a lot of the language is crude. Definitely not a film for families with young children. This film is also not for those wanting an amusing, light comedy, and it's definitely not a tear-jerker. While there are many hilarious episodes in the film, and the acting is wonderful, the overall tone of the movie is quite dark. In fact, we almost turned it off not on grounds of offence, but on grounds of boredom, until some things started happening well into the movie. [...]

So! You pretty much hated it.

For sure, not all of us share the same taste in movies. Still... "many hilarious episodes, the acting is wonderful [and] boredom"... all in one movie?

I'm going to go out and rent it again just to see what I was missing.

- DataRyder

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:
So! You pretty much hated it.- DataRyder

No, didn't hate it. Actually liked it okay but wouldn't give it rave reviews except for the little girl's astonishing performance and the fascinating performance of the guy who played the teenaged boy. It goes without saying that Toni Collette was wonderful -- she always is.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: A really good movie Reply with quote

llizard wrote:

But there it is, chacun à son goût... Me, I really liked it and I'd even see it again.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING...
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

Given the responses to this movie, we'll HAVE to rent it now. Would it be appropriate for a 12 year old boy? and a 6 year old dog who likes to watch movies? oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: A really good movie Reply with quote

David wrote:
llizard wrote:

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING...

Oops... please excuse me for typing in only two languages. I can't believe I made that error! Hin ist hin, but allow me to revise anyway:

But there it is, chacun à son goût... Me, I molto liked it and I'd even see it again.

etherwork.net discussion guideline

Last edited by llizard (aka ejm) on Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Given the responses to this movie, we'll HAVE to rent it now. Would it be appropriate for a 12 year old boy? and a 6 year old dog who likes to watch movies? oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!

You should probably not allow the dog to watch it; 6 years old is too young for this movie. stomp Otherwise, it depends entirely on the boy and the boy's parents. There is a lot of "F" language spoken by at least one character. But otherwise, it's a wonderful road movie and family journey. (as in "the family depicted in the movie" not as in "family, suitable for absolutely everyone")

I would put a PG label on the movie.

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Given the responses to this movie, we'll HAVE to rent it now. ...

Just this morning Little Miss Sunshine was nominated for a number of Academy Awards including Best Picture and Best Original Screenplay. ==>CNN<==

A nomination for Best Origninal Screenplay is, by itself, a good reason to see any movie. It's my favorite barometer.

DataRyder

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: re: "Little Miss Sunshine" Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Would it be appropriate for a 12 year old boy? and a 6 year old dog who likes to watch movies...

The MPAA gave Little Miss Sunshine an R rating for language, some sex and drug content.

WikiPedia gives the following explanation:

R - Restricted. Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: