discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

so... what's your definition of "silence"?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: so... what's your definition of "silence"? Reply with quote

Interestingly, I am in complete agreement with dictionary.reference.com definition of silence:

dictionary.reference.com wrote:
si·lence [...] –noun
1. absence of any sound or noise; stillness.

We have just been forced to upgrade our carphone to - eeeeeek - a cellphone. Our first cellphone - a Nokia 6103, sent to us for free by our provider because they are no longer supporting our until now perfectly serviceable analogue carphone. A phone that was handily turned on whenever the car was on. A phone that we didn't have to cart around (and forget where it might be). a phone that was there in the car to be used for emergencies only. It didn't have a camera. It didn't have games. Its only special features were hands-free speaking.

The new phone has a camera and games options and an alarm and voice messaging and... as far as I can see so far, no option for hands-free speaking.

Have I mentioned before that I HATE change?

Here's my first complaint.

Exclamation
In the table of contents of the rather large instruction booklet, there is nothing about volume control on the ringtone; nor is there any place telling us how to turn the stupid thing off. No wonder concert halls are plagued with the sounds of various horrifyingly ugly ringtones going off!

We finally found a promising looking "silence" in the options menu. We chose it and phoned the cellphone. Was there silence? NO. It was merely quieter because on further perusal, the booklet says:

Nokia6103 User Guide wrote:
3. Call functions
[...]
Answer or decline a call:
[...]
To mute the ringing tone, press one of the volume keys, or select Silence.

We selected "silence" and... you guessed it... the ringtone is merely quietened. It is NOT silenced. There is still noise. stomp

And here's my second complaint.

Exclamation Exclamation
Nowhere (as far as we could see) in the rather large instruction booklet is any place telling us how to turn the phone OFF. We blundered on it when using the "press this or that button to see what IT does" method of learning how to use the phone. It turns out that one holds the red power off/on key down until the service provider's main logo appears.

Are we REALLY the only people in the world who want to be able to turn our phone off?!!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Change model Reply with quote

Why don't take you handset back and get something simple like LG 125 (no camera) . Any phone can be turned off; the 3 or 4 second delay just prevents accidental off-turning (which is annoying ).

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Change model Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Why don't take you handset back and get something simple like LG 125 (no camera) .

We tried to get something simple that had no camera. We said that all we wanted the phone for was to make phone calls. (how strange... la la la) All the free phones they were offering had cameras. We are NOT going to pay extra....

MEF wrote:
Any phone can be turned off

No doubt this is true. It's just a matter of knowing what button to press in order to turn it off. The default setting on the phone, once it is activated, is for it to turn on when the phone rings. There does not seem to be any volume control for the ringtone (other than "silence", which just turns the volume down).

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick look at the user guide for your phone:
http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm30119.pdf
Apparently the "Silence" button is not to change the volume of the ringtone but to mute the ringing of an incoming call should you chose not to answer it. It looks as though the volume of the ringtone (including no sound) is changed using Menu > Settings > Tones.
The phone can be used hands free by selecting "Loudspeaker" after you initiate or pickup a call. There are also a range of kits that can be fitted in cars with external microphones and speakers suitable for every Nokia.
DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I had a quick look at the user guide for your phone:
http://support.t-mobile.com/knowbase/root/public/tm30119.pdf
Apparently the "Silence" button is not to change the volume of the ringtone but to mute the ringing of an incoming call should you chose not to answer it. It looks as though the volume of the ringtone (including no sound) is changed using Menu > Settings > Tones. [...]

Hi David,

Thanks for your help.

I'm not quite as resistant to change. It's not a bad phone really. In fact it gets pretty good reviews. It'll do the job but we will have to adjust. And not really for the better.

Ring Volume:
Like you my first thought was Menu > Settings > Tones. But that would make too much sense. After a lot of looking around I found it under the "Go to" menu and had to scroll through 20 or so items to find "RingTone Volume". So that's fixed.

The hands free options requires quite a lot of work. Too much for someone driving a car.
1) Phone rings
2) Open the phone.
3) Scroll to "Options".
4) Scroll through a menu to find "Loud Speaker".
5) Then click again on that option.

Best guess. It would probably take about 50 seconds of eyes off the road. Not all that great. (The old phone had a button you could press right away to use hands free - 2 seconds max and no eyes off the road.)

True for 25 bucks or so I can find a hands free accessory kit, but were not doing enough business on the phone to make it worth our while. I'm looking for a "Hot Key" option that might shave off a little time, but I haven't found it yet.

Anyway, thanks again.

Dataryder

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: so... what's your definition of "silence"? Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
...Have I mentioned before that I HATE change?...

All of this trouble merely confirms my decision not to have a cell phone. Or a webcam... or .....

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cell phone (Sony Ericsson no bells and whistles) has a silence feature where the ringtone (more on that in a minute) will not play but the phone will vibrate. If it's sitting on something, it will vibrate and buzz across the surface.

When I first got this phone, I went through the menu to find a ringtone that didn't make me sneer. There was a choice that said "record your own". I said out loud, "hey, you can record a piece of music from the stereo. I guess you could record your own voice. Wouldn't it be fun to have a ring that said something like 'the phone is ringing!'" My then 11 year old son thought this was terribly amusing so he recorded his voice on my cellphone saying rather urgently, "Your phone is ringing. Answer the phone. Your phone is ringing."

A few months ago, I was on a bus? skytrain? when my phone rang and a few people heard my son's voice urgently telling me to answer the phone. I very quietly answered the phone (don't you hate it when people have loud phone conversations in public?) and hung up quickly. A man near me said excitedly, "where did you get that ringtone? Did you download it? what site did you get it from?" I'm sorry to say I laughed out loud and then I explained. Upon further scrolling through the menus, I've discovered that I can have different rings for different people...but that seems like too much work. oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
My cell phone (Sony Ericsson no bells and whistles) has a silence feature where the ringtone (more on that in a minute) will not play but the phone will vibrate. If it's sitting on something, it will vibrate and buzz across the surface.

We have a similar vibrate feature on the new phone. I don't like it. It makes too much noise.

MrsBrown wrote:
When I first got this phone, I went through the menu to find a ringtone that didn't make me sneer. There was a choice that said "record your own".

Hmmmmm, I wonder if we can "record your own".... I rather like the idea of hearing the phone use my voice to say very quietly "dingalingaling!" or "the phone's ringing... I'm busy. You answer it...)

And then of course, I have an urge to program another voice that says " ". That way, I could have the phone turned on in a theatre and it could ring ring ring ring and nobody would be bothered including me. skip

I wonder if one could make it flash a light to indicate that it's ringing. (Is this what deaf people do?)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: