discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Google Earth

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Google Earth Reply with quote

Wow! My house in now in the hi-resolution area not previously covered in Google Maps. I downloaded this application today, typed in my postal code to the search box and watched a satellite photograph of the earth smoothly zoom in until it showed my street. I panned up and right and then zoomed in on my house. I can clearly see my car, patio, conservatory, the kids' trampoline and climbing frame and even my patio furniture. Even more fun was when I moved the "tilt" slider to give a perspective looking down my street from about 30m in the air and then panned down the streets and into town as though I was in a hover car. It's a fake perspective because the building are still flat but still, wow!
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.

I just poked around in England on Google Maps, picking "New Forest" as a random starting place. I ended up in Gosport, either near or part of Portsmouth, and I'm wondering what is parked on a road there.

To see what I mean, enter this query in Google Map:

Code:
alder ln, gosport, england

Put it on Satellite or Hybrid. Zoom in to the max, making sure you can still see the pink semicircle just north of the pointer. The pink semicircle looks like a shadow on some pink area (sand? concrete?). On the road at the south end of the pink area is parked ... what?

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Is it a helicopter?

And what is the round green building? Are those gun turrets? Maybe; it's Military Road running north/south next to it.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Google Earth Reply with quote

My house is not in really high resolution. I can see the house, sort of. Appears the photo was taken in the fall -- the big tree in front is red! However, google doesn't point to our address correctly. Google claims that our address is somewhere down the block from where we are. In fact, in the satellite map, our address is in the middle of a street down the block. Still, all very interesting. I hope the photos don't get too too close.

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
enter this query in Google Map:

Code:
alder ln, gosport, england

Put it on Satellite or Hybrid. Zoom in to the max, making sure you can still see the pink semicircle just north of the pointer. The pink semicircle looks like a shadow on some pink area (sand? concrete?). On the road at the south end of the pink area is parked ... what?

Is it a helicopter?

electronic scoreboard on a tractor with a telescoping arm?

blm wrote:

And what is the round green building? Are those gun turrets? Maybe; it's Military Road running north/south next to it.

A running track with a massive garden on the roof??

It does have a military look about it though. Perhaps it is/was a military college?

Ah, google is my friend (sort of)... according to wikipedia,

wikipedia - Gosport wrote:
Until the last quarter of the 20th century it was a major naval and military centre associated with the defence and supply infrastructure of Portsmouth Harbour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gosport

llizard (aka ejm)
Administrator

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Google Earth Reply with quote

Cool indeed!! Our house is a little difficult to make out though - there is a message that

"we don't have imagery at this zoom level for this location"

But it looks like the photo was taken in summer.

CAM wrote:
I hope the photos don't get too too close.

I was thinking the same thing about our house... what if they see that we haven't removed all the weeds from between the bricks in the patio? stomp

Also, I have this horror that the technology used in Blade Runner isn't far behind. Oh oh Yikes!! I'd better start brushing my hair and polishing my shoes.... la la la

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been nosing around "Area 51, USA". Lots interesting aircraft and suspicious-looking hangars. Tilting the view shows real height differences between the hills and plains.
DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I've just been nosing around "Area 51, USA". Lots interesting aircraft and suspicious-looking hangars. Tilting the view shows real height differences between the hills and plains.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reminder. I never thought of checking out "Area 51, USA". Wow! Imagine my surprise when my high resoulution screen was able to pick up this kind of detail. And all thanks to Google Earth. Incredible. ==> Link <==

I never knew the U.S. government was experimenting with this kind thing.

- DataRyder

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: