discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Fahrenheit 9/11

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Fahrenheit 9/11 Reply with quote

Subject: Fahrenheit 9/11
originally posted by CAM on Jul 10, 04 - 1:20 AM

Uncharacteristically we went to the local movie theatre this evening. We went to see Michael Moore's new movie. The theatre was nearly full -- I haven't seen that for any other film that I remember for quite a long while. By no means a perfect film, and some segments a little over the top. But I'd certainly recommend it. It's a lot tougher to watch than any of his others to date.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Fahrenheit 9/11
originally posted by MEF on Jul 12, 04 - 1:00 PM
Related Website: http://www.opendemocracy.net/themes/article-3-1988.jsp#

I haven't seen it yet, but this article sounds about right.

Last edited by bravenet_archive on Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Re: Fahrenheit 9/11
originally posted by David on Jul 15, 04 - 2:12 PM

As flawed as his movies are, I'm very glad Moore is making them as it's the only time some people will ever hear the voice of dessent. It doesn't matter if some of what Moore says is incorrect, I think it's still a worthwhile exercise if it stimulates people to question the motives of those people making decisions on their behalf rather than to just acquiesce.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 Reply with quote

ubject: Re: Re: Re: Fahrenheit 9/11
originally posted by CAM on Jul 15, 04 - 10:35 PM
Related Website: http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/24/canada/moore040624

Yes, I agree. He is more a satirist or an essayist than a journalist. He has never claimed to be a journalist, but I understand he had checked his facts (although one might query his juxtaposition if you don't like what he has to say.)

By the way, Stephen Harper, the conservative is really mad that he did so badly in the Canadian national election. A conservative Canadian group ispetitioning parliament to have Michael Moore charged under the Election Act for campaigning against Harper! Apparently foreigners aren't allowed to campaign. I think we could have our own poll about this!

Last edited by bravenet_archive on Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Fahrenheit 9/11
originally posted by llizard on Jul 16, 04 - 5:21 PM

How ridiculous. These petitioners are giving Moore much more power than he has. My own personal reasons for not voting for Harper had nothing to do with anything Moore may have said. It's a shame that Harper and his conservative petitioners don't realize that Harper's bad showing in the recent national election had everything to do with what he himself said (or didn't say).

I have not yet seen the movie (never go into theatres anymore so will have to wait til it comes out on DVD). Nor have I read any reviews but I gather that it does NOT put Bush in a very good light.

I did think that there was a lot of foolishness that occurred when it was announced that the movie was not going to be shown in the USA. Again, if Bush had just laughed it off and said, "Sure, show it! It can't hurt me. The American People are smart enough to think for themselves when assessing my leadership. Moore is free to have and air his opinion. That's the great thing about America...." But by banning it, anything said in the movie automatically gains credence.

(I love that phrase "the American People" that is invariably inserted several times in any speech made by any American politician)

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: "The American People" Reply with quote

Subject: "The American People"
originally posted by CAM on Jul 16, 04 - 11:27 PM

This may be a much bigger difference between Canadians and Americans than people often think. I don't know that "The American People" is supposed to mean, but I have a idea that it means something to Americans. Canadians may not understand it... e.g. If a politician said "The Canadian People" many people might look blank or say "which ones?!" But politicians may say "Canadians." When I was in New York I loved "the people" and realized that New Yorkers are culturally quite different from other Americans. I was enchanted by New Yorkers! I can't say I've been similarly enchanted by "most people" in other places I've been in the US. I also found Boston very intersting -- we were there on the 4th of July -- not really on purpose. But I'm glad we walked around with Americans on that day -- it was wonderful to walk around people who were seeking out gravestones of people like Jefferson. We also went to a fife and drum concert put on free of charge by a group of very fine community musicians in 18th century costume. Fife and drum turns out to be a European folk tradition -- e.g. they play folk music from France where they have toured. I have to admit that this past month I found much that is wonderful, wonderful about American culture!

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "The American People" Reply with quote

ubject: Re: "The American People"
originally posted by llizard on Jul 18, 04 - 10:49 AM

There definitely is a cultural difference between Canadians and Americans. I'm always most surprised if we cross the border from Niagara Falls, Ontario to Niagara Falls, NewYork. The accent is immediately different as well. It really is quite remarkable, considering that there was, until recently, a very easy and quick border crossing between the two cities. One just has to walk across a bridge....

But I'm very surprised to hear you say that you have not been enchanted by most Americans! Have you been speaking politics or religion with them? (I try to make it a policy to never speak politics or religion with anyone....)

While I haven't travelled everywhere in the US, I have been to a number of the northern and midwestern states. Each state feels like a foreign place; each state has its regional differences. But I have always been enchanted by most Americans - of course there are a few exceptions to the rule - there are always a few exceptions.

CAM wrote:
: This may be a much bigger difference between Canadians and Americans
: than people often think. [...] When I was in New York I loved
: "the people" and realized that New Yorkers are culturally quite
: different from other Americans. I was enchanted by New Yorkers!
: I can't say I've been similarly enchanted by "most people" in other
: places I've been in the US. [...]
:........................................

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Re: "The American People" Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Re: "The American People"
originally posted by CAM on Jul 18, 04 - 12:18 PM

I draw a distinction between "liking" and "enchantment." I have liked most of the American's I meet, as I have liked most of the people I meet most anywhere. For some reason, I fell in love with New York, and it was not because of "the shows" or "the restaurants" etc. etc. It was the people I particularly liked. I think New York is now way up there in the top ten of cities I like.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: