discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Tour de France 2007 - stages 11 & 12 thrills

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jul, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Tour de France 2007 - stages 11 & 12 thrills Reply with quote

I love watching the Tour de France, especially when they ride through areas that we have ridden on our bikes. Stages 11 and 12 have been very exciting. They rode on many of the roads we rode on and it was very exciting to recognize spots on the road.

When we rode into Montpellier from Arles, we got a little bit lost and rode into Montpellier from the south, exactly on the same road that the riders took a couple of days ago.

But it was yesterday's stage that was really thrilling. They pretty much followed exactly the same route that we did from Montpellier to Castres. Of course, we took two days to do the ride... we stayed in St.Pons overnight and then in the morning, rode UP a very nasty little 10km climb. (See the stage 12 route profile linked below)

That day, it was 10C and overcast. As I recall, I averaged 5 km/hr on the climb (or was it 4??) and I had to stop half way up to get my breath back. It was amazing to have the sensation of freezing hands as well as sweat streaming down my back as I slogged up that road (just a bit resentfully because that particular trip was the one that we were going to stay on the flat land and not climb any hills), staring at hand painted signs on the road that said things like, "Gagne le tour!" At our about half way 'gasping for air' stop to admire the fantastic view of St.Pons far below us, I mentioned the road signs and as I recall, there were poopooing and guffawing noises made that this hill was a NOTHING hill and that IF the Tour de France ever took a road like that, riders would have no problem with it at all and whip right up in no time, making no mention of it.

Well. Did those guys whip up that 10km climb from St.Pons yesterday? No. Ha. It was by no means a NOTHING hill. Of course, their average speed was still much faster than my average speed on the flat (or even downhill...). And they did have a headwind. But still...

And lest anyone thinks that I still resent having had to ride that 10 km of evil steep grade, dispel the notion immediately. I stopped resenting it that very day when we arrived almost at the top of the hill to stop at a lone restaurant in the woods that had a wood fire blazing and racks and racks of mushrooms smoking on the hearth and a big pot of Sunday dinner stew bubbling over the fire. Definitely worth it to have climbed....

Wikipedia: Tour de France 2007

Wikipedia: Tour de France 2007 - stage 11: Marseilles to Montpellier

Wikipedia: Tour de France 2007 - stage 12: Montpellier to Castres

Tour de France 2007: stage 11 route profile

Tour de France 2007: stage 12 route profile

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jul, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Cheating Reply with quote

It's too bad there are so many cheaters in the Tour.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
   |                 ||
   | Tour de France  ||
   |                 ||
   | July 25, 2007   ||
   |                 ||
   |   Aged 104      ||
   |                 ||
   |                 ||
   |                 ||
   |                 ||
   |                 ||
   |                 ||
   |_________________|/
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheating Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
It's too bad there are so many cheaters in the Tour.

It really is a shame, isn't it? I noticed that both Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin were quite subdued in their coverage of yesterday's stage. (Haven't seen today's stage yet - it's on tape....)

But maybe the boo! cheating boo! is an attempt at getting back to the boo! true roots of the race boo!. la la la

docsports.com: tour de france history wrote:
The widespread cheating that took place was comical. Some riders hopped in cars and took trains. There were rumors of riders poisoning their rivals, or fans leaving nails on the roads just for kicks.

http://www.docsports.com/tour-de-france-history.html

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: