discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Balti cooking - am I the last to find out?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Balti cooking - am I the last to find out? Reply with quote

Subject: Balti cooking - am I the last to find out?
originally posted by MEF on Jul 14, 04 - 9:03 AM
Related Website : http://www.owlsprings.com/the_balti_page/

Yesterday, in reading a book called "The Indian Recipe Book" I noticed a lot of the recipes were called Balti. With a little closer look I found out that this is a style of cooking using something like a cast iron wok, and foods are prepared much in the style of Chinese stir-fying. A little further look on the net revealed that a single person in Birmingham England opened a Balti restaurant and within a fairly short time there were 100 such restaurants in Birmingham! Has anyone (David, pehaps) run into this style of cooking?

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Balti cooking - am I the last to find out? Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Balti cooking - am I the last to find out?
originally posted by David on Jul 15, 04 - 2:29 PM

The Britain's love affair with Indian cuisine is now so firmly ingrained in our culture that for the last 5 years it has been consistantly topping all polls of favourite meals. The Balti style is the current favourite (myself included) having taken over from Tandoori. Men are particularly fond of cooking Balti style dishes as it bascially entails throwing everything into a single cooking vessel. It's probably impossible to cook a bad Balti dish and I've never been disappointed in any Balti restaurant. In case you can't tell, I love Balti.

bravenet_archive
Administrator

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 14 Oct, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Balti cooking - am I the last to find out? Reply with quote

Subject: Re: Balti cooking - am I the last to find out?
originally posted by llizard on Jul 16, 04 - 10:36 AM
Related Website: http://archive.tri-cityherald.com/recipes/global/global1.html

Before I met him, my husband lived in India for 10 years and travelled almost all over the country. I asked him if he had heard of balti. "No." I described the cast iron wok and he said, "you mean 'a karayi'?". I repeated 'balti'. "No" again.

But India is an amazing place. Perhaps my husband never heard the term "balti". Or perhaps he didn't ever eat with nomads.... He did say that he had food prepared as a onepot dish in a kerayi and served with bread. But it was in Pakistan. As the related website says, Indian food is very regional.

When we were in India for a holiday, we landed in Calcutta. A friend met us and after picking us up, immediately stopped at a little shop and returned carrying a small clay bowl containing a wonderful sweet called "mishti doi" or "lal doi" I loved it and kept asking for it as we travelled west by train. But no. It is only available in Bengal. We've asked Bengali shopkeepers here where we can get lal doi and they just look misty-eyed, smile, shake their heads and say wistfully, "available only in Calcutta"

(I just looked up Baltistan and it looks like it is a in northeast Kashmir, western Ladakh and is part of Pakistan)

-------------------------------------

Having said all that, balti cooking sounds great. Here is a recipe for naan to go with it:

http://etherwork.net/recipes/flatbread.html#naan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » bravenet archive - some earlier posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: