discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Ave Maria

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Ave Maria Reply with quote

I just saw this version of Ave Maria on another forum and was pleasantly surprised by Bobby McFerrin of "Don't Worry, Be Happy" fame (ick).
Spoiler (highlight to read):
I wonder if the audience was really a choir and the performance we're seeing is some kind of master class. I like the way at the end he seems so pleased.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely. And amazing how he can sing like that.

Cool how he uses his fingers on the mike as though he can manipulate his larynx like a keyboard.

I thought there might be a choir behind him. But the singers, whoever they were, seemed a bit uncertain and draggy at first, but they got very good toward the end. I loved his reaction at the end.

Here he does an amazing version of the Air on a G String.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slUW5IBVo_8

whoohoo!

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following a chain of youtube links starting from the McFerrin, I came to this guy's http://www.youtube.com/user/wzauscher version of the Bach/Gounod. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk1DB7Yf-hw

After that, get a load of his version of Diecimila Anni from Turandot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqeoOQiqv_0 I almost made myself sick laughing. la la la

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, rats. I have NO idea what has happened but suddenly, I am unable to hear any sound when I look at youtube pages.

(Just downloaded the latest version of flash but that made not one whit of difference.)

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ave Maria Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I just saw this version of Ave Maria
[...]
I wonder if the audience was really a choir and the performance we're seeing is some kind of master class. I like the way at the end he seems so pleased.

I FINALLY got the browser fixed so that the sound plays! (It took ages of hair tearing and screaming. How incredibly annoying. It turns out that I had to uninstall Quicktime.)

As I was returning to the page over and over to see Bobby McFerrin but not hear him, I started to wonder if it was really worth all the trouble to even bother. But I'm glad to say: That is really cool!

I've noticed that audiences are often capable of singing quite beautifully. I guess there are still enough people who belong/ed to choirs. And that version of "Ave Maria" is quite commonly sung at weddings, etc. so many people are pretty familiar with it. But there was definitely a relatively good soprano singing. I wonder if it might have been the blonde lady that was focussed on near the end of the video.

I believe the people sitting on chairs behind McFerrin are audience members. They may be discount rush seats that are sold just before the performance.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
I came to this guy's http://www.youtube.com/user/wzauscher version of the Bach/Gounod. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk1DB7Yf-hw

bravo! That's great!! bravo! I think that Pete Levin should add a link to that on his Viola Jokes page.

blm wrote:
After that, get a load of his version of Diecimila Anni from Turandot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqeoOQiqv_0 I almost made myself sick laughing. la la la

I watched in fascination, thinking it was amusing but wondering what it was about it that you almost made yourself sick laughing. And then I saw it and not only did I almost make myself sick laughing as well but I spit ALL over the monitor

I love that he used his dog to replace the usually deafening sound of the audience clapping and cheering at the end of that aria while the orchestra is playing.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ave Maria Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I just saw this version of Ave Maria on another forum and was pleasantly surprised by Bobby McFerrin of "Don't Worry, Be Happy" fame (ick).

We have a wonderful album of Bobby McFerrin and Yo-yo Ma... It's extraordinary. I realized then that Bobby McFerrin is a remarkable musician.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: