discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Now, why would I PAY someone to do this?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Now, why would I PAY someone to do this? Reply with quote

We saw this look right hand written roadside sign look left advertising various cleaning services (5 hour minimum at $10/hr) yesterday; please pay particular attention to the first listed item.

I just can't see myself paying someone to do this when it is so simple to do it myself.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us could probably do it reasonable well but for special occasions or when you're pressed for time it might be more cost effective to hire a professional. I wonder if they'd also be interesting in huffing, flouncing or gadding. I'm reasonably competent at these tasks but the in-laws are visiting soon and I don't want to look like an amateur.

Edit: Note to self - Do not post to forums whilst drinking wine.

P.S.
I just heard someone on TV pronounce"amateur" as "hammer-chewer". I don't think I'll be able to hear the word without that mental image in the future.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: When the occasion merits Reply with quote

I agree with David; for a really important occasion it might be best to avoid hammer-chewer moping and blow $50 on a professional. I would insist on a demo before I'd sign a contract, tho'.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Note to self - Do not post to forums whilst drinking wine.

It never occurred to me before to drink wine while posting to forums but now I'm wondering: is there wine? where is it? How come nobody offered me any?! stomp I have the glass (goblet, flagon, chalice): bravo!

David wrote:
I just heard someone on TV pronounce"amateur" as "hammer-chewer". I don't think I'll be able to hear the word without that mental image in the future.

Oh great. Now I can't either. And I haven't even HAD any wine.

wikipedia wrote:
The word [...] can be translated as "lover of", reflecting the [hammer-chewer]'s motivation to work as a result of a love or passion for a particular activity.

wikipedia - hammer-chewer

I like to think that I am an hammer-chewer in the true sense of the word and would not need to pay for professional moping.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder where the professional moper advertised got his/her training. Rather than the rather mundane household tasks the advertiser suggested, I'm a little surprised he/she doesn't offer the other things David suggested although I would prefer to do my own gadding. I could use some help with flapping just before a party, though. oh boy! oh boy!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
I wonder where the professional moper advertised got his/her training.

Mrs. Brown has an excellent point -- But I think there needs to be very careful thought before getting into any credentialling requirements for "professional" mopers (qualifications, training, experience, examinations, etc.). Who would decide whether someone was qualified? And would the credentialed mopers then demand to be considered "a new profession" and wish to create (along with other professional vicarious emoters) a "Society of Mopers, Gadders, Huffers and Flouncers? (SOMGHAF). Oh, dear, I think coffee must also be prohibited while posting. Someone please stop us.)

PS. I think whining and whimpering should be added.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh what a wonderful bunch you folk here are. Maybe we should have a thread where we will only post whilst drinking wine. Oh no wait, better still, a thread where we post whilst quaffing.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Oh what a wonderful bunch you folk here are. Maybe we should have a thread where we will only post whilst drinking wine. Oh no wait, better still, a thread where we post whilst quaffing.

You're quaffing now?!

And again, I am compelled to ask where the wine bottle is and why has it not appeared in this room?! Or have you all guzzled it all already? stomp

CAM wrote:
I think whining and whimpering should be added.

And pouting. la la la

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 12 Sep, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:

wikipedia - hammer-chewer

ejm, you caught me.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I actually clicked through hoping for the hammer-chewer wikipedia entry.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: