discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Becoming Deaf (?)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Becoming Deaf (?) Reply with quote

As is appropriate with old (older?) age, I find myself re-assessing many things that I once took for granted. For example, I am now considering whether to keep or discard my huge vinyl LP collection. I am playing old faves and trying to decide if they are worth keeping. As I do this, I find that I cannot sit still, and merely listen; I keep looking at the blank TV screen expecting to see the concert video. Am I alone or do others find themselves "looking" to "see" more than the music???

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 19 Sep, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rid of my vinyl and cassettes after copying those I wanted to keep to mp3. Some I later burned to CDs but I have the entire collection on hard disk (and a backup on an external hard disk). I made my decision of which to keep by asking myself two questions: (1) Have I listened to this in the last 10 years? (2) Will I listen to it in the next 10 years. There are some vinyl albums that I simply can't bear to be parted from even if I never listen to them. These are the ones which trigger special memories such as who I was with and where I bought them or maybe traveling home on the bus reading the sleeve notes and the lyrics on the inner sleeve. (It was just never the same with CDs, you just don't get the same physical presence). And some album cover are just beautiful aren't they? I'd hang them on my wall. I fact why don't I do that? Hmmm...

I've never been listening to music and then looked at the TV screen although both my sisters have done that since their teens so it might not be an age thing.

I do worry about losing my hearing though. I've always enjoyed my music loud and I am aware that this could have caused cumulative hearing loss so I'm making an effort to listen to music (and TV) at lower volumes in the hope that whatever damage my hearing has already suffered won't become a problem.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: