discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Reading Books

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reading Books Reply with quote

When I was in grade school we were taken as a class to the local library. The librarian showed us all the stuff that was available and how to find it. At the end, she gave each of us a card and said we could take home anything we wanted from the collection. I never looked back. It surprised me year later to find many people who would not read anything they had not bought. Why? I still don't know. Am I alone?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of my brother-in-laws buy dozens of new books each year. They would never visit a public library because they "need" to read the latest books by their favourite authors as soon as they are available. When they see something they want, they won't wait. I think they're too caught up in the instant-gratification culture. Once read, they give their books to charity shops where they are bought be people like me who read them and then hand them back to be resold. I get about a third of the books I read from a public library. Unlike my two eleven years olds who are library-addicts and have been on first name terms with the entire library staff since before they could even read.

Last edited by David on Tue 06 Nov, 2007 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the public library!! I actually feel a bit guilty because of the number of books I DON'T buy.... (authors probably don't really get the royalties they are entitled to)

I find the library to be particularly useful when deciding which cookbooks to buy. If I have to renew the book more than twice, and I have made more than two things from the book, I know it's one that I should own.

David wrote:
[T]hey "need" to read the latest books by their favourite authors as soon as they are available.

I get quite a thrill from putting the latest and/or very popular books on hold (I've even placed holds on books before they have been published!) and watching my number gradually reach number one.

edit: If I tried to buy all the books I read, I would have to get a bank loan. Books are EXPENSIVE (even second hand)

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
I love the public library!! I actually feel a bit guilty because of the number of books I DON'T buy.... (authors probably don't really get the royalties they are entitled to)

I haven't been to the public library for ages, but I use the university library all the time -- but of course if you saw my reading material shouts you'd shout "get a life!"

Authors love libraries because libraries buy books!

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Mon 05 Nov, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people have family outings to the beach or the local park but not us! We go to the library! Just yesterday, we had a family outing to the gigantic library in the big city close to where we live.

We LOVE our local library. It's quite small but very well stocked and the librarians are fun--they call in person to tell us if a hold is there. If I need a recent release, I'll put a hold on it before the library even has it, much as ejm does. I don't buy many new books as we already have far too many from garage sales, second hand bookstores.

I belong to a book club where the rule is that the book must be in paperback. Of the 10 members of my bookclub, only 2 of us use the library, the rest spend huge amounts of money on books. One of them just spent huge amounts of money building a wonderful bookshelf for all her books.

What I like best about the library is that I can choose any amount of books, read a couple of chapters and if I don't like it, I'll take it back. I could never do that with a store-bought book. oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:

What I like best about the library is that I can choose any amount of books, read a couple of chapters and if I don't like it, I'll take it back. I could never do that with a store-bought book. oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!

Yes, exactly. The only "cost" is the effort to carry it back and forth. And maybe the odd fine once in a while.

I was once a book buyer, although I always waited until books came out in paperback. But for the past 10 years or so, I've been a library user.

I recall that the public library never used to have recently published books; it would be at least a year before they showed up. But now, we can read a review in the paper of a new book, and find it that day in the library on the New Books table or Best Bets (1 week borrowing only) table. How cool is that?

I think it's brilliant the way our library is online for searching and renewing. I love putting books on hold and getting the call from the library that there is "one or more items on hold for the customer whose initials are B L M" - sometimes it's months after I put them on hold, and I have no idea what books they are until I get to the library. It's like Christmas. (I could look it up online, but that would take the fun away.)

3 cheers for The Public Library. whoohoo! whoohoo! whoohoo!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Library Love Reply with quote

When I go to the library looking for fiction, I very often leave with about $100 to $200 worth of books and end up reading only $50 worth. As ejm says, to do that in a book store would require a hefty bank loan.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: