discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Sharpening vs.Honing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 05 Dec, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Sharpening vs.Honing Reply with quote

For the longest time I have sharpened my knives on a Japanese wet stone whenever they have become dull. I now realize that this elaborate procedure is only needed perhaps once a year. The rest of the time simple honing with a steel http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/using-a-steel.aspx
is all that is needed to keep knives really sharp. I have no idea of why it took SO long to figure this out!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 06 Dec, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever used a steel to sharpen knives because that's what my parents did and I've never thought of any other method. My sharpening stone is reserved for wood chisels and drill bits.
DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point MEF.

For about 3 or 4 years now I've been shaving using various straight edge (cut throat) razors which I buy second hand on Ebay. Most of these razors are between 50 & 100 years old and can be pretty beat up. Sometimes they need a lot of honing work to achieve a good keen edge.

There is a big distinction between honing a dull edge and re-aligning the microserrations. Once a good edge has been achieved, honing on a stone only needs doing occasionally. Re-aligning the microserrations needs to be done more often. On a razor stropping with leather needs doing before every have. Depending on its use, a kitchen knife may need work on a steel several times a month.

One useful thing I've learned about honing on a stone is to always lead with the sharp edge of a blade. This is also true for getting a good edge on a kitchen knife. (See the page 2 of the pdf below for clarification.)

(To rotate the pdf hit "Shift + Ctrl + Minus")
link to honing (pdf file)

Dataryder

Edit: I forgot about this honing animation

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: