discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Squash Lasagne with chicken

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 09 Dec, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Squash Lasagne with chicken Reply with quote

A couple of months ago, I read ejm's blog entry about squash lasagne. I adore squash in just about any form and roasted squash is just so wonderful that I had to try this for my birthday dinner in November. It was brilliant.

Last night, I made a new recipe that was inspired by the original. I roasted some squash and pureed it. I put it into a white sauce that had been made with chicken stock, milk and wine--3 cups of liquid altogether. I browned some chicken pieces cut into 1 inch cubes along with onions and plenty of garlic. I added some steamed, well-drained and squeezed out spinach to the chicken mixture. Using fresh lasagne noodles (that I bought, I don't make fresh lasagne--too much work), I layered the sauce, chicken mixture, cheese (provolone, havarti with jalapeno, monterey jack--it was what I had in the fridge) ending with the squash-white-sauce and cheese mix on the top. I thought it had too much cheese but MrBrown and our guests thought it was prize winning.

If I make it again, I'll add a little more nutmeg to the white sauce, use less spinach, use less cheese and use more roasted squash--the squash was a little on the small side. la la la

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Why steam? Reply with quote

The dish sounds great. I was just wondering why you would steam the spinach since the whole assembly is going to bake for 40 minutes, right?

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Why steam? Reply with quote

Mmmmm, that sounds good!!! I adore squash in lasagne and think it should be there all the time! I really like the sound of your variation, MrsBrown.

MEF wrote:
I was just wondering why you would steam the spinach since the whole assembly is going to bake for 40 minutes, right?

I'm guessing that it's to remove as much of the water from the spinach as possible. We usually salt our spinach and squeeze it out before adding it to lasagne for that reason.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Mon 10 Dec, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Why steam? Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
I'm guessing that it's to remove as much of the water from the spinach as possible. We usually salt our spinach and squeeze it out before adding it to lasagne for that reason.

Yes, just that reason. I find that if I put fresh spinach into a casserole, it makes the casserole very wet and sometimes a little sloppy.

I wonder if the reason that there wasn't enough squash was that I ate a few (too many) pieces when it came out of the oven.... stomp

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: