discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Supermarket "Beef"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Supermarket "Beef" Reply with quote

Eating cows can be a wonderful experience, but all cows are not "created" equal. Have a gander at this : motherearthnews.com - What You Need to Know About the Beef You Eat

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Supermarket "Beef" Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Eating cows can be a wonderful experience, but all cows are not "created" equal.

Yikes. Those two posts of yours, MEF, are enough to put me off beef completely. The antibiotics etc is very scariest, but I'm irrationally most put off by the chewing gum and chicken feathers.

I guess having the odd bit of organic beef as a super luxury might be ok.

whoo hoo! <---- A dairy cow, I hope

------------------------------
edit:
I'm assuming
this is the other post that is enough to put blm off eating beef completely. -ejm

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Supermarket "Beef" Reply with quote

blm wrote:
Those two posts of yours, MEF, are enough to put me off beef completely. The antibiotics etc is very scariest, but I'm irrationally most put off by the chewing gum and chicken feathers.

I was unable to eat any kind of sausage for years after reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair.

Chewing gum? Chicken feathers? I'm afraid to read the article....

blm wrote:
I guess having the odd bit of organic beef as a super luxury might be ok.

We had an almost "organic" steak* in the summer. It was fabulous and tasted like steak used to taste when we were kids.

blm wrote:
whoo hoo! <---- A dairy cow, I hope

Of course. Freerange. Grass.

* Apparently it costs a fair amount to get the "organic" certification. From what the fellow at Butcher by Nature said, I gather that there are an increasing number of small farms that are using organic methods for their livestock but cannot (or will not) pay out the extra cash to certify it, passing these savings on to the consumer. The "organic" beef at Butcher by Nature has a considerably higher price than the "we're quite certain this is organic because the farmer told us it was" beef sold in the same store.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I read My Year of Meats by Ruth L. Ozeki, I couldn't eat beef for close to 18 months. I was horrified by what I read. Even now, I eat beef very rarely (no pun intended) and I try to get free range beef.
ejm wrote:
Chewing gum? Chicken feathers? I'm afraid to read the article....
I'm REALLY afraid to read the article. I just don't want to know...oh look, a pile of sand, let me look at it very very closely.... whoo hoo!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very surprised by that article. Not because of the content, but because of when it was written. We had this debate in the UK 25 years ago and the evidence was overwhelming that hormone implants in cattle was unsafe. They have been illegal here since then. What worries me most is the over use of antibiotics in both animals and humans leading to antibiotic-resistant strains which are already causing fatalities.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get real; North Americans can't possibly learn from other countries' studies! la la la

What's really frightening to me is the Sinclair was writing about this very subject just a little over 100 years ago. Granted, he didn't mention antibiotics but he did talk about the slaughter of tubercular cows (yes "cows") for human consumption. I gather that his book was the reason that the FDA was begun (the Meat Inspection Act and the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 were a direct result of Sinclair's book) but how far have we really come since then? Sadly, not all that far at all.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know the history of the Canadian equivalent of the FDA. (I suspect that similar acts and agencies with regards to food inspection were started not long after the American version.)

[google google google]

Aha. The Canadian "Food and Drugs Act" was first passed in 1920.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_and_Drugs_Act

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 31 Jan, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Health Canada Reply with quote

In Canada the regulation of food safety comes under the broad umbrella of Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/ahc-asc/index_e.html
More specifically, the regulation and inspection of foods is done by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/toce.shtml whoo hoo! la la la

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: