discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Adapting to your climate

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » starblvd archive - some even earlier posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
administrator
registered

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Adapting to your climate Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by MEF, Jan/28/2004 12:05:27 [-05 EST]

For many years I have lived in Canada where all snow and ice is treated with salt to make driving possible. A secondary effect of this is to make all walking areas awash with brine. Until last week, my approach to this this was to wear leather boots that soak up the brine, rot the leather, and make sure that your feet are both wet and cold. In a eureaka moment, I convinced Mrs. MEF to buy boots that have molded rubber bottoms - she cannot believe that it has taken this long to discover warm, dry feet during winter. In a fit of common sense, I did the same thing! Wow! It works - warm dry feet regardless of the winter weather. SO, why did this move take 50 years?????????

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: but are they "cool"? Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by CAM, Jan/29/2004 01:42:36 [-05 EST]

The boots sound very sensible indeed. Here on the West Coast of Canada we rarely get ice and snow or bitter weather like the rest of Canada. We need rubber boots to slosh through puddles, though, and we are so used to rain that we don't bother much with umbrellas for the usual "heavy mist" -- we save 'em for when it's really pelting down.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Rubber boots Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by David, Jan/29/2004 08:29:22 [-05 EST]

In the mild, damp, maritime climate of the UK, rubber boots are pretty much standard requirements.

Looking at my atlas it appears that theorectically I could be closer to the east coast of Canada than CAM. Now that's wierd.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Not your average rubber boot Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by MEF, Jan/30/2004 09:37:41 [-05 EST]

When I wrote that I had taken to wearing winter boots with moulded rubber bottoms, I may have given the impression that I had merely bought wellies. Not so; here is a description of my weather conquering wonders:

• 5" high boot with waterproof nubuck or full grain leather upper.
  • Seam-sealed waterproof construction.
  • Gusseted tongue.
  • Rustproof metal D-rings and nylon speed hooks.
  • 200g Thermolite® keeps warmth in and wicks moisture away.
  • Rated -25°F/-32°C.
  • Heat reflection frost plug insole prevents cold from penetrating from the ground.
  • Injection molded rubber shell with snowshoe binding lip provides lightweight, durable protection.
  • Die-cut EVA midsole provides lightweight cushioning.
  • Non-marking Omni-Grip® rubber compound outsole with minimal-loading lug tread pattern provides increased traction and stability on slippery ice and packed snow conditions with minimal outsole loading.

Now that is a winter boot!!

Last edited by administrator on Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: re: Not your average rubber boot Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by llizard, Jan/30/2004 15:15:43 [-05 EST]

Being ridiculously vain about what others may be thinking about my feet, I feel compelled to repeat CAM's query:

"But are they cool?"

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: they're pretty cool Reply with quote

Last edited by administrator on Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: rubber boots on the cool meter Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by llizard, Feb/1/2004 12:10:05 [-05 EST]
related page: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1207712/c/4491.html

MrsMEF wrote:
: They look quite cool. Much cooler than those black rubber boots
: with the red soles and the red ring around the top.
:............................................

Hmmm, while these may look cool with jeans, I'm afraid that (on my stupid scale, anyway) they just wouldn't do under a dress-suit and coat. (But yes, they do look much cooler than gumboots.)

I had a pair of completely waterproof faux-leather dress boots that lasted for about 4 winters. (They looked sort of like those on the related page link) My feet were warm and dry until the boots got a puncture right near the end of the 4th winter, which was at its slushiest. Was I smart? Did I replace them? No. I returned to wearing my leather boots that are treated with mink oil to keep them waterproof. Vinegar wipes away any salt stains.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Scary boots Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by David, Feb/3/2004 10:36:18 [-05 EST]
related page: Scary boots. http://www.pennangalan.co.uk/boots/All.html

Some of the boots on this related page look as though they keep one's entire leg dry. I assume the spikes are for extra grip in icy conditions.

Oh to be young and foolish again.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Ring Rubber Thigh Boot with Platform Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by MEF, Feb/3/2004 12:10:02 [-05 EST]

Well, if this is were you shop David, it must be murder to make a selection with all those cool styles to choose from! Myself, I think I would give the very practical looking "Ring Rubber Thigh Boot with Platform" a go.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: re: Ring Rubber Thigh Boot with Platform Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by llizard, Feb/3/2004 13:07:30 [-05 EST]
related page: http://www.pennangalan.co.uk/boots/FW56.php

I'm not sure that the Ring Rubber Thigh Boot with Platform is as practical as it seems on first glance.

Cool, yes, but the concern is that the boot is not completely waterproof because of the fastening "via laces/D-Rings set into a patent leather strip at the front". That patent leather would crack in no time at the first introduction to salt and slush.

I think that David might be better off with the "Fantastic knee-high Storm Elevator" boot. Yes, it is patent leather as well, but 10cm platform should keep the foot high and dry - well away from the slush.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: re: scary boots Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by llizard, Feb/3/2004 12:56:10 [-05 EST]
related page: Velda Boots with Magic Heel http://www.pennangalan.co.uk/boots/FW57.php

The Velda Boots with Magic Heel don't look very waterproof though. (I wonder what sort of magic the heels do!)

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: really scary boots Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by CAM, Feb/11/2004 09:16:20 [-05 EST]
related page: http://www.pennangalan.co.uk/boots/FW33.php

I want the red ones -- FW33.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » starblvd archive - some even earlier posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: