discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Rouille

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Rouille Reply with quote

I made something way outside my comfort zone for dinner tonight: rouille. Normally I wouldn't serve something even vaguely creamy let alone eat it.

I had watched a Laura Calder cooking show where she made a fish stew and served it with toast spread with rouille. I was cooking fish tonight, and had already decided to make a fish soup/stew, and I thought it would be cool to serve it with the fancy toast.

When I looked up Calder's recipe for rouille, it turned out to be basically a mayonnaise (I had forgotten that from the show). I don't know what made me google for other recipes, but I'm glad I did. Another version of rouille is based on bread.

Here's how I made it; it made maybe half a cup, just right for a meal for two. A thick slice of bread, crust removed, broken up and soaked for a while. A large garlic clove smashed up with salt. About a third of a red bell pepper, skin blackened over the stove top and then removed. About a teaspoon of paprika. About a quarter teaspoon of cayenne. Put those five things in a food processor and whiz them a bit. Then drizzle in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and whiz until smooth. It tastes brilliant.

In my search, I also found out that rouille is usually used to thicken bouillabaisse. I had a pretty nice tomato-ish chicken-stockish soup already, but I tried a bit of my soup mixed with a bit of the rouille. Yowza, I can see why they mix it in.

I chose to have the best of both worlds. I put a good shot of it into the soup, and I spread the rest onto toast grilled under the broiler with a tad of olive oil on it.

The fish stew: the soup as above, with Alaskan pollock, red potatoes, carrots and then some mixed baby greens added at the last minute.

Here's a link to the Food Network page for the Laura Calder show I watched: http://www.foodtv.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=102535

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Laura Calder - get the book Reply with quote

I also enjoy Laura Calder's TV show in which she demonstrates that wonderful French food is dead easy to prepare. For anyone who admires her style and approach to food preparation, I recommend her book "French Food at Home" ($17.50 CAD). http://www.amazon.com/French-Food-Home-Laura-Calder/dp/0060087714

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edit: Or as low as Cdn$6.80 - and that includes the shipping -ejm

http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/French_Food_at_Home/0060087722/

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:
I had watched a Laura Calder cooking show where she made a fish stew and served it with toast spread with rouille. I was cooking fish tonight, and had already decided to make a fish soup/stew, and I thought it would be cool to serve it with the fancy toast.

When I looked up Calder's recipe for rouille, it turned out to be basically a mayonnaise (I had forgotten that from the show). I don't know what made me google for other recipes, but I'm glad I did. Another version of rouille is based on bread.

Mmmmm.... fish stew.... with rouille... mmmmmm... I LOVE rouille!! We make our rouille with mayonnaise AND breadcrumbs. Did you also add grated gruyere?

The first time I had fish soup with rouille was in Tarascon, after a fabulous bicycle ride from Avignon. Mmmmmmmmm, that is still the fish soup by which all subsequent fish soups are measured by.

I too like to watch Laura Calder's show and got her cookbook "French Food at Home" out of the library to see if it was worthwhile. Definitely. According to bookfinder.com (I love bookfinder.com!!), it can be purchased new for as low as $6.80 - and that includes the shipping!

http://www.bookfinder.com/dir/i/French_Food_at_Home/0060087722/

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Book prices Reply with quote

I rarely buy new books. After following Clotilde Dusoulier's book writing struggle on her blog Chocolate and Zucchini: From Montmartre to Montreal, I decided to have a look for her book amazon.com: Chocolate and Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen (Paperback)
While I was there I saw Laura Calder's book. In for a penny, in for a pound - I bought them both. After that huge splurge, I must look at bookfinder.com !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edit: fixed the links so they weren't causing that unsightly horizontal scroll. -ejm

BBcode for links

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rouille Reply with quote

blm wrote:

[...]About a third of a red bell pepper, skin blackened over the stove top and then removed. About a teaspoon of paprika. About a quarter teaspoon of cayenne.

Hi, this sounds really good. I've heard of Rouille made this way. Never had it though. I'll give it a shot next time and compare the two.

One thing you might try is a little saffron in both the Rouille and in the fish soup. Saffron played a big part in all the fish soups we ate in the south of France. Also instead of cayenne powder try using flakes. It gives it oomph but not in every bite, if you see what I mean.

(Although I like oomph. Oomph rocks! So I always add quite a lot) happy happy

DataRyder

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 11 Feb, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Book prices Reply with quote

DataRyder wrote:
Also instead of cayenne powder try using flakes. It gives it oomph but not in every bite, if you see what I mean.

The cheese biscuits (cookies) I make call for cayenne powder. I usually grind chili flakes (as best I can) in a pestle and mortar. That way the "oomph but not in every bite" isn't quite as oomphy. whoo hoo!

MEF wrote:
After that huge splurge, I must look at bookfinder.com !

I am very fond of bookfinder.com! I see that Clotilde Dusoulier's book can be purchased new for as low as Cdn$9.62
bookfinder.com - Chocolate and Zucchini Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: