discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

So, Blu-Ray wins

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: So, Blu-Ray wins Reply with quote

Some months ago I posted a general comment about the HDTV vs. Blu-Ray battle. At the time there was no clear leader. The battle showed signs of going on for a long time. Now, suddenly Blu-Ray emerges the winner http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/mgmt/416D9DC27320A544CC2573FD007BE2C8

So, does anyone now plan to buy a player??

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently given a projector which I have connected to my conventional dvd player/surround sound system and mounted on the ceiling. We now watch movies on a 2m wide screen. When the player or projector fail I might consider replacing both with a high definition system but I'd also have to replace my entire dvd collection to see any benefit.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
So, does anyone now plan to buy a player??

David wrote:
I might consider replacing both with a high definition system but I'd also have to replace my entire dvd collection to see any benefit.

We're definitely going to wait until the price drops and the people who want to spend the big bucks work through the blu-ray bugs that are undoubtedly there because these things are ALWAYS released just a little too early.

This puts me in mind of the switch-over from vinyl to CD (notice that vinyl and turntables are being sought again?) on stereo systems. Also the changeover from VHS to DVD. (Our favourite video rental store has JUST finished getting rid of their tapes and moved over to renting DVDs - haven't even noticed if there is any HD or blu-ray stuff for rent....)

I think it's going to be a while before DVDs disappear.

----------
I have a vivid recollection of seeing colour TV for the first time at the Exhibition. "The Fantastic Voyage" was being broadcast on shortwave and the colour was appalling. My recollection is vile red red red vile green green green

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Wow! That's a big screen Reply with quote

I must say, David, you get some pretty nice gifts!
ejm, I don't get the impression that Blu-Ray was released in a hurry. The first machines were made available 5 years ago. As for rentals, I've noticed that Blockbusters has had them available for some time now. You are probably right that the cost of machines will come down.
The basic unit now sells for $450 CAD.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 13 Nov, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: The price drops Reply with quote

Well, the basic Blu Ray player has now dropped to $199 CAD and I bought it! Huge difference; the funny part is that after a few hours it becomes the new normal!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: