discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Barack Obama
Go to page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 07 Mar, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Barack Obama Reply with quote

The U.S. presidential race is very different this year from ones in the past. My questions for participants here are : 1) will Barack Obama become the next president, and 2) would that be a good thing?

My own answers are 1)no and 2) yes

Last edited by Mats on Wed 12 Mar, 2008 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 08 Mar, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Obama will be the next US President. In the minds or the average dumb-as-dirt voter there has already been a black President (in the TV series 24) so that won't be an issue. Obama seems like a traditional politician, not very productive and occasionally exploited by corrupt friends. He'd probably be an adequate President but nothing would change. On the positive side I doubt he'd be stupid enough to go to war with N. Korea, Iran or Russia but on the negative side he doesn't seem like someone who could avoid the influence of the Bilderberg Group.

My answers are 1) Yes and 2) Don't know.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Barack Obama Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
1) will Barack Obama become the next pesident, and 2) would that be a good thing?

1) I don't know.
2) I don't know.

Who'd've predicted the past eight years?!

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Good point Reply with quote

Who would have, indeed!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Good point Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Who would have, indeed!

However, here is something we can predict:
http://www.backwardsbush.com/images/BackwardsBush_Flash.swf

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 24 Mar, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Obama's speech - A More Perfect Union Reply with quote

Here is the full version of Obama's March 18th speech called "A More Perfect Union". He delivers this strong speech after the minister at his church is labeled as a racist. It may be the pivotal moment in his quest for the presidency of the US. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrp-v2tHaDo

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 26 Mar, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama's speech - A More Perfect Union Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Here is the full version of Obama's March 18th speech called "A More Perfect Union". He delivers this strong speech after the minister at his church is labeled as a racist. It may be the pivotal moment in his quest for the presidency of the US. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrp-v2tHaDo

His talk is very interesting.

Speaking of racism, see the You Tube at YouTube: abc Primetime - How Muslims Are Treated In USA

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Obama's speech - A More Perfect Union Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
MEF wrote:
Here is the full version of Obama's March 18th speech called "A More Perfect Union". [...] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrp-v2tHaDo

His talk is very interesting.

Speaking of racism, see the You Tube at YouTube: abc Primetime - How Muslims Are Treated In USA

What I find disturbing about both of these videos is how xenophobic we (as in, all people) are. We seem to neeeeeeed for everyone to agree with us, dress the same as us, have the same hairstyle. It happens over and over. Will we never learn tolerance?

The other thing that disturbs me is "predominantly black churches". What is it that makes a person black? Obama says that his mother is white and his father is black. So that means that automatically, he is black? Why isn't he automatically white? These skincolour labels and continued segregation have to stop before we can really go forward. Wouldn't it be great if we could point to Obama and call him that Democratic candidate or perhaps blue tied Democratic candidate (he is wearing a blue tie in the video) rather than that black candidate?

Notice that nobody mentions H.Clinton's or McCain's colour. They don't talk about Clinton as "that white Democrat candidate" or McCain as "that white Republican candidate".

And with regards to Obama or H.Clinton becoming president: I really hope that we (especially US voters) can quickly discard the labels "first black" or "first woman" and start focussing on what the new president is doing to correct injustices, stabilize economy, stop needless pollution, etc. etc. - basically the issues that Obama outlined at the beginning of the "More Perfect Union" speech.

(But I guess this is exactly what Obama is saying in this strong speech....)

Last edited by ejm on Fri 28 Mar, 2008 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Thu 27 Mar, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama's speech - A More Perfect Union Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
Here is the full version of Obama's March 18th speech called "A More Perfect Union".

I was struck by how quiet and unassuming that speech was, and how it made the speech so much stronger than if it had been delivered in a more exciting and bombastic style. Also how it occasionally seemed a bit unpolished; for example, the story right at the end didn't have quite the punch it would have had if a team of speechwriters had tightened it up.

Very affecting.

CAM wrote:

Speaking of racism, see the You Tube ... Primetime - How Muslims Are Treated In USA

With this one, I was struck by my own prejudices. I found that I was surprised at the response of the redneck-looking guy with the sloppy clothes; from the way he looked, I expected him to support the storekeeper's racist actions.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 28 Mar, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: The "Muslim" response Reply with quote

This (the ABC video) was clearly a small sample. It's not surprising that some choose to applaud the dude behind the counter. What's more disturbing is the number of people who will stand by and remain silent.
I saw something similar to this at a bank machine line-up some time ago. A woman who was a dwarf could not reach the buttons; nobody moved to help her. I could not watch and helped her to push the right buttons; there were at least 15 people who just kept watching.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jun, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Obama wins Democratic race Reply with quote

After watching Obama's victory in the Democratic primaries, I now want to change my initial answers to my own questions to 1) Yes and 2) Yes. He has what it takes to go the distance and has also gathered strong support across the U.S.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Obama will be the next president of the U.S. Reply with quote

After watching the summer's seemingly never ending battle for the Democratic nomination which ended yesterday with Obama winning, it is hard to imagine that it would all come to naught with a Republican victory on Nov 4th. But, who knows?

Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Sat 30 Aug, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Obama will be the next president of the U.S. Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
... it is hard to imagine that it would all come to naught with a Republican victory on Nov 4th. But, who knows?

Who would have thought that someone like Sarah Palin could be even a remote possibility as Vice President!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would have thought someone could steal the Presidency after losing the election?
Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Who would have thought someone could steal the Presidency after losing the election?

For a moment I thought you were referring to Zimbabwe!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: