discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Lazy person gotta have - DeLonghi DCG 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » starblvd archive - some even earlier posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
administrator
registered

Slogan:

forum administrator (aka llizard)

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Lazy person gotta have - DeLonghi DCG 4 Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by MEF, Feb/27/2004 12:53:48 [-05 EST]
related page: http://www.wellspent.org/Product?p=2578

OK, everyone can muscle down on their pestle and crush any spice in a mortar. Still, when using a lot of seeds and spices, wouldn't it be cool if they could all be ground at the push of a button. I just bought a DeLonghi electric coffee mill that does just that. It grinds with two burr wheels as opposed to the classic coffee grinder and does a great job. It turns cinnamon sticks into the most aromatic dust that you can imagine. It does the same with black pepper, fennugreek, cumin seeds, anise seeds, etc. It costs $40 CAD at WalMart.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Contamination? Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by David, Mar/1/2004 09:25:33 [-05 EST]

Do you use it to grind coffee too? Can you clean it thoroughly enough to prevent spicy coffee and coffeeish spices?

btw the link doesn't seem to be working.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Coffee, what' that? Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by MEF, Mar/1/2004 09:59:37 [-05 EST]

Sorry about the bad link. Just 'Google' "DeLonghi DCG 4" and you will see lots of live links. When I look at their own wesite http://www.delonghi.com/ I see that this little model has been discontinued (hence the low price). I really hadn't thought of coffee griding as I was really interested in turing, say, cinnamon sticks into powder. But, yes, it does strip down nicely and can washed. Still, given its all plastic construction (with the exception on the grinding wheels), it's always going to carry some wonderful reminder of the spice you ground last. For example, yesterday I tried it out with whole allspice and cloves - it did a wonderful job, but, despite my washing, it might enhance any future coffee grounds! (Not its purpose, of course).

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: I want one but... Reply with quote

I want one but...
originally a starblvd post by David, Mar/3/2004 03:43:04 [-05 EST]

I am a total gadget nut. This is exactly the sort of thing I would buy. The thing is though, I really enjoy using my pestle and mortar because I can accurately control just how roughly or finely I grind the spices and also because I can slow down and spend a long time enjoying the aromas being released. Of course if I was grinding a large amount of spices every day I would certainly have one of these machines.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: High volume grinding Reply with quote

originally a starblvd post by MEF, Mar/3/2004 04:29:48 [-05 EST]

You have a good point, David. It makes no sense to have this machine for small amounts that can be done by hand in a few minutes. We do, however, often make large amounts of various dishes which we freeze in one portion zip lock bags ( Indian dal dishes, for example). Some jobs, like turning cinnamon sticks to powder, can also be quite a chore in an m&p. Still, I did say that this machine was designed for lazy person!

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: different grinders for coffee and spices Reply with quote

different grinders for coffee and spices
originally a starblvd post by CAM, Mar/17/2004 08:31:06 [-05 EST]

I think most people who uses an electric grinder for spices use a separate one for coffee. My father tells an amusing story about using the spice grinder to grind coffee.

By the way, did you know that the latest rage in coffee is southeast asian coffee? Thai, Vietnamese... even Cambodian if you can get it outside Cambodia.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Robusta vs. Arabica coffee Reply with quote

Robusta vs. Arabica coffee
originally a starblvd post by MEF, Mar/17/2004 12:29:28 [-05 EST]

The cheaper Robusta grown in S.E Asia now accounts for about 30% of the bean market. It gets used for instant coffee and is blended into many major brands. The only problem that it has is a lack of flavour. It is the clear choice for a cheap jolt.

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: flavour vs jolt Reply with quote

flavour vs jolt
originally a starblvd post by llizard, Mar/18/2004 18:44:18 [-05 EST]

MEF wrote:
: The cheaper Robusta [...] is the clear choice
: for a cheap jolt.
:...............................................

I drink coffee because I like the taste of our coffee, not because I'm looking for a jolt. (I've never understood people who drink any old brown coloured swill just for the caffeine buzz.) There was an article about various coffee beans in a recent issue of SAVEUR and I am now very careful to read the label on our coffee beans to ensure that we are buying Arabica (we are and always have, as far as I know)

administrator
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 15 Oct, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: no high quality coffees? Reply with quote

no high quality coffees?
originally a starblvd post by CAM, Mar/31/2004 12:51:34 [-05 EST]

Are there no high quality coffees from southeast asia?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » starblvd archive - some even earlier posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: