discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Mycelium to save the planet?????

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 15 May, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Mycelium to save the planet????? Reply with quote

I remember learning in high school that mushrooms spring from an underground network called mycelium. It was never mentioned (or perhaps even known) that this network was fundamental to life on earth. Mycologist Paul Stamets studies the mycelium -- and lists 6 ways that this astonishing fungus can help save the world. It is an amazing presentation from TED http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/258

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Fri 16 May, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing indeed.

For those who haven't watched this yet, the speaker obviously isn't a regular speaker. He's a bit awkward, gets overexcited, drops words, mumbles occasionally, etc, but that somehow makes it even more interesting.

I hope some of his "6 ways to save the world" get adopted. They seem almost too good to be true.

at last!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 17 May, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link. Many thanks MEF.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 17 May, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Grapes explode in the microwave.

Thanks for this advice, even though I'm not sure why one would heat grapes.

Will also try to watch the mushroom flic. the Zed talks I've listened to have all been very interesting.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sat 17 May, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting talk. The information about the termites is fascinating. I wonder if it works with ants in the strawberries? I didn't understand everything, given that I'm not a mycellologist? mycellinian? biologist, but it seems to me that if he's right, the planet CAN be saved.

It's never occurred to me to heat grapes but now that I have this information about grapes exploding in the microwave, I have a desire to try it except that I really don't want to clean the microwave of grape residue.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 18 May, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
The information about the termites is fascinating. I wonder if it works with ants in the strawberries?

I've always assumed that ants wandering around a particular section of the garden is an indication that aphids are close by. Do the ants eat the strawberries? Or are they simply cleaning up other debris?

MrsBrown wrote:
I didn't understand everything, given that I'm not a mycellologist? mycellinian? biologist, but it seems to me that if he's right, the planet CAN be saved.

I was on pretty shaky ground throughout most of the talk but the glimmerings I caught did seem pretty convincing. I particularly liked the pile of toxic(?) pile experiment.

I also liked his idea of using cardboard boxes as plant containers.

MrsBrown wrote:
now that I have this information about grapes exploding in the microwave, I have a desire to try it

For the first time ever, I now have a desire to get a microwave oven - just so I can see the grapes explode. Has anyone filmed them exploding?

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 18 May, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:

For the first time ever, I now have a desire to get a microwave oven - just so I can see the grapes explode. Has anyone filmed them exploding?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2lhO3bSjQ&feature=related

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I thought it was whole grapes exploding. The carefully prepared grapes are interesting, but somehow less thrilling than whole grapes would be.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 19 May, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2lhO3bSjQ&feature=related

I thought it was whole grapes exploding. The carefully prepared grapes are interesting, but somehow less thrilling than whole grapes would be.

I thought it had something to do with the glass. But no. Here are two that don't utilize the glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vV1y17bx4&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb6WCkC0K1I&NR=1

And this page explains why grapes explode in the microwave (at least I think it does - I only skimmed it and didn't really understand it) It does not explain why someone would purposely put grapes into a microwave oven just to see them explode.
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Temple/3717/Geeks/eegrape.htm

edit: I am happy to know that I no longer feel the need to purchase a microwave oven. And to get back vaguely (I did say vaguely) on topic, I bet that microwave ovens are not part of the solution to saving the world.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: