discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Rummage sale

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Rummage sale Reply with quote

Yesterday I visited a church rummage sale at the end of the day. I was very pleased to find 22 white linen napkins for $2.00 -- less than 0.5 cents a piece. Cream-coloured, actually. A variety of designed and all in good shape -- probably used only a few times. I've been collecting such things and we now have a collection of about 50 or more linen and cotton -- various sizes and embroidery patterns. This means we have no need for paper napkins here, even if we entertain a crowd of 50 (unlikely, since this is too many people for our house). We do often entertain with buffets for about 25, though). We will also be using these every day -- tossing in the white wash after a single use -- they are small, so unlikely to add anything to our use of water, soap or even electricity.

Why were they so cheap? Why were they still there at the end of the day? Why did they give them away?

-they don't want to iron them and prefer using no-iron napkins
-they prefer to use paper napkins (most likely despite all the reasons not to
-they moved to a home for the elderly
-they died and their estate gave them away

Anyhoo, I'm glad I've got 'em. I'm just sorry I missed getting the half-dozen really good linen tea towels. Got one, though.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great price on the serviettes, CAM! I've often looked at stacks of linen serviettes and towels at garage and rummage sales and they are always rather pricey.

CAM wrote:
Why were they so cheap? Why were they still there at the end of the day? Why did they give them away?

-they don't want to iron them and prefer using no-iron napkins

Iron?! Why would anyone bother ironing napkins? I hang our cotton serviettes (we don't have any linen ones) on a clothes line to dry. Gravity makes them quite smooth enough as far as I'm concerned.

My reason for giving away white napkins (if I would ever do something so foolish) would be the stain factor. We're so often eating things that have been made with turmeric, or tomatoes. That's why I like to use patterned cotton serviettes. The stains aren't quite so visible.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: