discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

MOVIE: City of Lost Children

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: MOVIE: City of Lost Children Reply with quote

I absolutely loved this movie. It's a French film from 1995 that I stumbled upon by chance. Take a look at the trailer-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYG9cXTSds
This dark fairytale is full of stunning sets and enthralling imagery. It reminds me of a cross between Oliver Twist, Jules Verne and Terry Gilliam's "Brazil". The costumes are by Jean-Paul Gautier and some of the supporting actors also appear in another French film I loved, "Amelie". Like "Brazil", I suspect that people will either love it or hate it.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
In THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, an imaginative fantasy from the creators of DELICATESSEN, a prematurely aging mad scientist named Krank (Daniel Emilfork) kidnaps children so he can steal their dreams. However, Krank runs into trouble when his henchmen grab Denrée (Joseph Lucien), a little boy whose adopted brother, One (Ron Perelman), is a circus strongman. One desperately tries to find Denrée and begs for help from Miette (Judith Vittet), a 9-year-old girl who heads up a gang of orphans. Together, One and Miette finally find Krank's castle, meeting along the way the lost identical brother--the original--of the three clones (each played by Dominique Pinon) who serve as Krank's assistants. French directors Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet once again prove their technical prowess with this dark fairy tale, which features outstanding performances from its youthful cast (most notably Vittet). As is the case with DELICATESSEN, however, their genius in constructing a highly artificial, beautiful, believable world threatens to overshadow the story. But even the fantastic sets cannot compare to the bizarre spectacles that Jeunet and Caro dream up. In one unforgettable scene, a pair of evil Siamese twin sisters prepare dinner, their four arms working perfectly in sync--one holding vegetables for another to chop while a third stirs the soup and a fourth scratches their collective itches. Frequent David Lynch collaborator Angelo Badalamenti creates the chilling, circusy musical score that adds to the film's magic.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Trailer looks good Reply with quote

I saw the Caro & Jeunet "Delicatessen" sometime in the 90's and thought it was amazing. Judging from the trailer CoLC promises more of the same spectacular sets and quirkiness. I must also see "Brazil" someday.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: MOVIE: City of Lost Children Reply with quote

David wrote:
I absolutely loved this movie. It's a French film from 1995 that I stumbled upon by chance.

"Amelie" is a favourite of mine. And I am in the camp of people who really liked "Brazil" (although I'm not sure that I'd like to see it again - I'm afraid that it would be dated. It's like trying to recapture the thrill of seeing Monty Python for the first time. I used to laugh til I was crying at Monty Python. But recent re-viewing of some of the shows leave me in stunned staring silence, wondering what on earth I found to be amusing.)

I haven't seen "La Cité des enfants perdus" and am intrigued. But I loathed "Delicatessen", so hmmm, what to do, what to do....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: