discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Maize (corn)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Maize (corn) Reply with quote

My first exposure to maize took place in the 50's in Sweden. Cobs suddenly appeared on grocery shelves. I bought a couple, took a bite, and concluded it wasn't much good. Times have changed; steamed maize is now a staple of our Canadian summers. This article in Mark Bittman's blog http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/11/corny-as-kansas-in-august-report/
suggests a stir-fry approach. I tried this yesterday; it was wonderful.
I don't think it matters which direction you go (Asian, Indian,or something of your own). It works!

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Maize (corn) Reply with quote

We've been on the lookout for corn for at least two weeks now. We so want to barbecue* the whole cobs! And we're in despair... all of our stores are inexplicably peeling back one part of the husk to show the kernels. This CAN'T be good!

Chinatown used to be THE place to get good recently picked corn but even they aren't selling it, except for a few cobs, exorbitantly priced.

I'm guessing that this rainy summer has been terrible for the corn crop. (I sure hope the lack of corn isn't because farmers have been growing fuel corn instead of food corn. stomp)

MEF wrote:

My first exposure to maize took place in the 50's in Sweden. Cobs suddenly appeared on grocery shelves. I bought a couple, took a bite, and concluded it wasn't much good.

One of our French friends refuses to try corn at all. He says he WON'T eat horse/cattle feed.

==========
* To barbecue corn: Husk the corn as the barbecue is heating up. Then put the cobs directly on the grill for 2 or 3 minutes to caramelize some of the kernels. Slather the hot corn with [butter, salt and pepper] OR [lime juice, salt and garam masala].)

Last edited by ejm on Thu 14 Aug, 2008 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Innocent Reply with quote

At the age of 7 nobody said the maize should be cooked!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my first experience of fimported maize was when my mother served "corn on the cob" in the 1970s. Before that I'd only eaten the Jolly Green Giant version. I also see it as part of summer as I only ever eat it when we have it barbecued (covered in butter and wrapped in aluminum foil). The maize we cook is imported because the UK has insufficient sunshine to ripen maize properly but it is grown very widely as a forage crop and there are many maize mazes every summer.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 14 Aug, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Maize Maze Reply with quote

Why, oh why, have I never tried a maize maze ?? A must-do this summer!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: