discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Choosing Books

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Choosing Books Reply with quote

Often I discover a writer that I like, read all he/she has written, and wish I could find more writers with the same appeal. This http://www.literature-map.com/ is a site which attempts to help. Simply enter the author you admire, and you will find a "map" of writers who share similar readership. Give it a try.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was fun! and useful!!! I put in my favourite authors which led to other authors I like which made me think that some of hte authors listed were probably ones I should check out. Oddly, when I clicked on Amy Tan, the closest author to her was Dr. Seuss. hmmmm Is there something I'm missing about Amy Tan? whoo hoo!

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
Oddly, when I clicked on Amy Tan, the closest author to her was Dr. Seuss. hmmmm Is there something I'm missing about Amy Tan? whoo hoo!

And Shel Silverstein is really close as well?!

So I googled Amy Tan and it turns out that she has written two children's books!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Tan

I'm usually a big fan of Amy Tan but strangely, I was unable to finish "Saving Fish From Drowning". For me, it just wasn't as compelling as "The JoyLuck Club", "The Hundred Secret Senses" and "The Bonesetter's Daughter".

I like watching the names shift around on the map. (Does anyone else question putting Alice Munro right beside Ann Patchett? Or putting Harper Lee right beside Charles Dickens?)

Lawless in Lotusland
registered

Slogan:

Get Serious. Get Lawless.

PostPosted: Mon 25 Aug, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find any of my favourite authors on this site, which is devoted to fiction. I wonder if anyone has developed a similar site for non-fiction? I wonder if this software is easily available so that people can create their own literature maps!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: