discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Google's new browser - different

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 03 Sep, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Google's new browser - different Reply with quote

Google has launched its own browser, called "Chrome" to compete with IE, Firefox, Opera, etc. It is different in that it was built "from the ground up" instead of adapting older browsers to "fit" current needs. Here is a short review (including a demonstration video) http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200836/1928/Review-Google-Chrome
To give it a try, simply download it from here it http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_chrome/

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 03 Sep, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Google's new browser - different Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
It is different in that it was built "from the ground up" instead of adapting older browsers to "fit" current needs.

Do you like it MEF?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes what do you think MEF? Have you tried it?
I downloaded it yesterday, took one look, and then uninstalled it.
I know that I haven't given it a chance but it looked feature-filled (complicated) compared with Firefox and I wasn't in the mood to start learning how an unfamiliar browser when all I really want is a tabbed browser with Google on the start page.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: A little early Reply with quote

Having used Chrome for only one day is, for me, not enough for a real evaluation. Still, my first impressions were positive. I like the tabbed display with all pages on the desktop. I like the way each window is opened by itself without dragging along all the previous stuff and filling the memory; better speed. I like the "incognito" feature in which browsing is not recorded. I'll write more when I've used it a bit longer.

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Thu 04 Sep, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Yes what do you think MEF? Have you tried it?
I downloaded it yesterday, took one look, and then uninstalled it.
I know that I haven't given it a chance but it looked feature-filled (complicated) compared with Firefox and I wasn't in the mood to start learning how an unfamiliar browser when all I really want is a tabbed browser with Google on the start page.

My first impression was that it's really ugly. It reminds me of the blobby blue look of default Windows XP.

My next impression was that there weren't enough options. (!) I don't like the way a new tab has a thumbnail of the 6 or 9 most visited sites. I just want it blank. In the cartoon http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/ that explains the ideas behind Chrome, the guy bragging about this feature said it was the default behaviour (my emphasis). So I was looking for an option to turn it off, but didn't find it. After a bit of googling, I found that there isn't an option (yet?).

But I like the idea of having each tab be a separate process. And it's very cool how easy it is to detach a tab into a separate window and then reattach it as a tab, possibly on a different window.

Being able to open an incognito tab is cool too. I often do internet searches and then either clear the entire history or clear the recent history. The most common reason is looking up recipes when I don't want Mr blm to know what I'm making for dinner. With an incognito tab, I can do all the searching I want, and it won't go into the history.

I only played with it for an hour or so yesterday, and I didn't get a chance to see directly that the tabs are independent. But that's something I don't like about Firefox, that when one browser window or tab is hanging due to some failed application, killing that one window causes every Firefox window to get killed.

I did run into one site that said I needed a modern browser, and that I should get either IE version something or Firefox version something to use the site. I don't know if I was actually missing a plugin or whether the site was doing a browser check.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blm wrote:

But I like the idea of having each tab be a separate process.

That's a feature that might get me to move from Firefox. If one tab crashes, it won't crash the whole browser. That's a proper browser.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: