discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

"In Bruges" - funny&scary

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: "In Bruges" - funny&scary Reply with quote

We recently saw "In Bruges", a stunning debut film by Martin McDonagh. Bruges, a medieval city in Belgium, provides an amazing setting for the film. The acting is very strong and the plot riveting. The violence may put some off. Here is Ebert http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080207/REVIEWS/802070301/-1/REVIEWS01

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: "In Bruges" - funny&scary Reply with quote

MEF wrote:
We recently saw "In Bruges", a stunning debut film by Martin McDonagh.

It was pretty violent with pretty violent language too, but yes, good movie! We saw it in the summer. I'd see it again.

More reviews:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/externalreviews
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_bruges/ (81% on the tomatometer, so not everyone likes it...)

I see from Wikipedia article about Martin McDonagh that he won an Academy Award for his short subject film "Six Shooter". I haven't seen it. But I'd like to... what a shame that the general public never gets to see short movies any more. Who DOES get to see them?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tempted to watch this movie after seeing some funny scenes in the trailer so thanks for the warning about the violence.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Across the Universe Reply with quote

David wrote:
I've been tempted to watch this movie after seeing some funny scenes in the trailer so thanks for the warning about the violence.

In Canada we have useful categories of warnings, "G" (general), "PG" (parental guidance), "PG13" (suitable for 13), 14A" (claimed suitable for age 14), and "18A". While I sometimes don't agree with the ratings, we've found that "18A" rating is almost invariably over the edge for us in terms of violence, and I don't want to watch unless there is some particular reason that goes beyond "entertainment." I've picked up In Bruges a few times, but put it back. After reading the review, I'm glad we haven't tried to watch it.

Last evening we watched "Across the Universe" which I believe is "14A". This turned out to be a very interesting film essay. One review said "enthralling" -- a good word for it. And see http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/across_the_universe/. Those who thought it was or should be about the Beatles or about "getting" the Beatles don't get the film at all. For those of a "certain age" it is very evocative. The lead is Jim Sturgess, who is also the lead in "21" along with Kevin Spacey -- another fascinating film.

Jim Sturgess? Wow. Watch his career.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 28 Nov, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We watched this movie yesterday and found it very funny. Although there are some very violent scenes they didn't detract from our enjoyment. I think we'll have to visit Bruges soon. The dvd included a section where all the swearing was left in and everything else cut out which was also quite funny, albeit it in a juvenile way.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: What a juvenile! Reply with quote

Would you invite Ralph Fiennes over for tea????????

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 21 Feb, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What a juvenile! Reply with quote

Mats wrote:
Would you invite Ralph Fiennes over for tea????????

After seeing In Bruges get some awards we decided to try it. Interesting plot, great acting by all.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
Fiennes was wonderfully sinister.
And Bruges is a lovely city!
I loved the little demonstration of nonviolent direction action by the pregnant hotel keeper who refused to leave (even though it only moved the locus of the final violence.
After a few days I found I was quite unsettled by the film. The merit of this film for me is that it has resulted in my deciding to give up watching violent movies/tv for a while starting next Wednesday. Giving up chocolate or booze for lent could be easier!

Still, I wish I hadn't seen the film.

DataRyder
registered

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We loved this film. A best original screenplay nomination for an Oscar (scroll down on linked page) is always a good bet for a good movie. This one's a winner.

- Dataryder

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 22 Feb, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: In Bruges Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
I loved the little demonstration of nonviolent direction action by the pregnant hotel keeper who refused to leave (even though it only moved the locus of the final violence.

I don't remember that particular scene. Now I want to see the movie again.

CAM wrote:
After a few days I found I was quite unsettled by the film. The merit of this film for me is that it has resulted in my deciding to give up watching violent movies/tv for a while starting next Wednesday. Giving up chocolate or booze for lent could be easier!

It's not that I want to be seeing lots of violence. Au contraire. I hate violence. But what I like about this movie is the fantastic character portrayal and development.

Interesting to be giving up for Lent an activity that is not particularly liked anyway. Giving up chocolate and booze makes sense to me. Or giving up ALL movies. (I always had the impression that giving things up for Lent was supposed to be somewhat of a trial.)

DataRyder wrote:
A best original screenplay nomination for an Oscar [...] is always a good bet for a good movie. This one's a winner.

I haven't seen all the movies on the list but if "WALL-E" is the standard of the other nominations, then I agree whole-heartedly that "In Bruges" is likely to win the "best screenplay" Oscar.

I see that a Mike Leigh film is nominated as well. That's a must-see for me! Hard to say whether it is a safe bet for anyone swearing off violent movies for Lent though (and I simply refuse to read any reviews that may well have spoilers included in them).

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 23 Feb, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: In Bruges Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
Interesting to be giving up for Lent an activity that is not particularly liked anyway.

I see that I haven't made myself clear.... it will be a trial to give up violent movies and TV. My favourites are thrillers, police and spy adventures... I just don't approve of all the violent plots I seem to enjoy. In Bruges was a bit over the top, though.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: In Bruges Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
ejm wrote:
Interesting to be giving up for Lent an activity that is not particularly liked anyway.

I see that I haven't made myself clear.... it will be a trial to give up violent movies and TV. My favourites are thrillers, police and spy adventures... I just don't approve of all the violent plots I seem to enjoy. In Bruges was a bit over the top, though.

I thought perhaps I would watch NCIS reruns during Lent because the program is forensic, and they don't show the murder. However, since making my resolution to avoid violence, I have noticed there is shooting in most episodes. Too bad. I have enjoyed this program. CSI is also out, because they insist on showing the murderous violence over and over, but I was pretty tired of that program. I loathe sitcoms. I do like House but it's on at inconvenient times. hmm, perhaps I will be forced to read!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst not being a follower of any of the major regions I do show my support of those that do by observing random customs from them. For Lent I intend giving up ridiculing Christianity. I'm sure it's what Jesus would want.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Thu 26 Feb, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Whilst not being a follower of any of the major regions I do show my support of those that do by observing random customs from them. For Lent I intend giving up ridiculing Christianity. I'm sure it's what Jesus would want.

I'll try to do that, too. BTW, along those lines, it's interesting that yesterday (Ash Wednesday) was also anti-bullying day... I doubt there's any connection between the two days, though. I liked this video which seemed to be created by kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDnS8SLCJHc&feature=PlayList&p=0A14B5E0A4509E23&index=2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: