discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Music By Which To Paint

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Music By Which To Paint Reply with quote

We renovated our kitchen two years ago and because it looked so pretty, we want to keep it looking pretty. I daresay that in a few years, we won't care so much about the little dings in the wall. At any rate, I had to repaint one of the walls because it had several marks on it. MrBrown filled all the holes and because he doesn't really like painting, I offered to do it. I love to paint walls and when I painted the walls 2 years ago, I listened to a CD given to me several years ago called The Best Classical Album in the World...Ever! While this is terribly subjective and I don't particularly agree with all the choices (Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker makes me feel ill), I found that some of the works were better for painting than others. The absolute best painting music for me was Bolero by Ravel. Anther excellent painting piece was O Fortuna (Carmina Burana) by Carl Orff. After we painted the 2 small areas of kitchen wall today (a very brief task that only took Bolero and O Fortuna) MrBrown and I also painted the deck railing. We liked painting to Vivaldi's Four Seasons, especially Winter.

Do you have any favourites by which you like to paint? oh boy!

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Music By Which To Paint Reply with quote

I had typed a reply to this thread and just before clicking "Submit" I had the strangest feeling that I'd typed the same thing before. After a while so I did a search for "paint" and found this from 2 years ago:

Sun 18 Jun, 2006 MrsBrown wrote:
A few years ago, we were given a 2 CD set called The Greatest Classical Album. Today, as we were painting, we listened to it. I have to say that for painting (4 walls with 2 coats, 3 walls with 1 coat), the best music was Jupiter from The Planets by Gustav Holst followed closely by Bolero by Maurice Ravel. O Fortuna by Carl Orff was also excellent painting music. Pachelbel's Canon, while a lovely piece of music, albeit overplayed, was not particularly good to paint to.

If there is more painting to be done, what other pieces of music would you suggest? stomp at last! Exclamation

Hooray! Part of my memory is intact.
MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did. Huh. What a memory lapse. It's good to know that I still have the same feeling about painting. We didn't have time to get to Holst's Jupiter before we finished all the painting or I would have put that one down too.
David wrote:
Hooray! Part of my memory is intact.
Too bad my memory isn't.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Music By Which To Paint Reply with quote

MrsBrown wrote:
The absolute best painting music for me was Bolero by Ravel.

Hmmm, I just can't see this. In fact I'm getting an audio virus just from seeing the title!

My memory is not good either and if David hadn't pointed out the repeat of the thread, I wouldn't have remembered either, MrsBrown. But I see that I had roughly the same reaction last time too:

In the 2006 thread about painting music
ejm wrote:
I'm surprised that Bolero was a good choice. For me, it is just too repetitive.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Music By Which To Paint Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
I'm surprised that Bolero was a good choice. For me, it is just too repetitive.

Its repetitive nature is what makes it good for painting. There are some good Bach things I remember being good for vacuuming, but I forget what they were. Maybe Brandenburg concertos?

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Music By Which To Paint Reply with quote

Personally, I like listening to the music of the spheres for painting.

CAM wrote:
Its repetitive nature is what makes it good for painting.

There's repetitive and there's repetitive. And I would worry that the crescendo throughout might cause the painter to get more and more frenzied with the brush (or roller) and end up slapping WAY too much paint on the wall as the orchestra gets louder and louder.

CAM wrote:
There are some good Bach things I remember being good for vacuuming, but I forget what they were.

Music for vacuuming? Isn't the vacuum too loud to hear the music?

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Music By Which To Paint Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
CAM wrote:
There are some good Bach things I remember being good for vacuuming, but I forget what they were.

This would also assume vacuuming was being done. MrBrown does the vacuuming when I'm not here because I get peevish and cranky when I hear the vacuum. Any other kind of cleaning is fine, it's just the vacuum that makes me annoyed.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

Mrs. Brown, consider wireless headphones http://www.thesource.ca/estore/category.aspx?langauage=en-ca&category=Wireless%20Headphones
I vacuum all the time while Ms. MEF is watching television. She simply does not hear the noise of the vacuum. As well, this device lets me read when the television is on. I think wireless headphones should be mandatory in any household with more than one occupant!

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Music By Which To Paint Reply with quote

ejm wrote:

Well, of course you do have to play the music quite loudly.

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Fri 19 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Sujective Choices Reply with quote

I thought about this thread today as I had some longish tasks ahead (cleaning kitchen and braising lamb shanks). I still have a large LP collection (which doesn't get played as much as in days of yore) and I decided to play the double album "Steely Dan/Greatest Hits". If you were listening to radio pop 1972-1978 this album will connect. Man, did the work fly!
I realize that this album will not make everyone's work fly; why that would be, I simply cannot understand though.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 19 Sep, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choice. I can imagine myself, paint brush/roller in hand, singing along loudly to "Reeling in the years" whilst getting the harmonies not quite right every time.
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Paint roller in hand Reply with quote

David, you will get all the harmonies right if you sing this chorus from "My Old School" :

Well I did not think the girl
Could be so cruel
And I'm never going back
To my old school

You can just hear the beat, right?!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: