discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

stupid liquor laws

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: stupid liquor laws Reply with quote

We recently went on a wine tasting tour in Niagara. The tour ended with a dinner (at 5:30pm!!! DON'T get me started on having to eat dinner at 5:30pm!) at the final winery.

At the final tasting, there was a really good ice wine. I suggested that we take the glass across the hall to the dining room to have the ice wine for dessert after dinner.

NO chance. It's against the law.

The other thing that is against the law is for the wineries to distill the leftover grape skins to make eau de vie (aka grappa, Schnapps). How dumb is that?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have encountered similar restrictions where the license permitting the consumption of alcoholic drinks applies to very specific rooms in a building and forbids drinks from being consumed elsewhere so as to protect the business of neighbouring licensees.

As for not being allowed to distill, I suspect that the winery would need to be first registered as a distillery and then be taxed and inspected accordingly.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
As for not being allowed to distill, I suspect that the winery would need to be first registered as a distillery and then be taxed and inspected accordingly.

Apparently, it's perfectly legal to do the distilling. What's disallowed without a licence is to distribute the distilled product.

But the hoops they have to jump through to be registered as a distillery are many and barbed. It's just not worth it to them. So for the most part all those grape leftovers get tossed. I don't think they even sell them for pig feed. (No doubt that is disallowed too. There might not be enough animal products in them to qualify as pig food. la la la )

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: