discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

placement of the Webster's Online Dictionary Box

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » about etherwork forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: placement of the Webster's Online Dictionary Box Reply with quote

In the thread entitled "Do you have obsessions or rituals? (that you will admit to)", David mentioned that the Webster's Online Dictionary box misaligned in the Preview Screen. (Thank you, David, for pointing this out.) In the same thread,
ejm wrote:
I am imagining that I might have fixed the placement of the Webster's Online Dictionary Box. At least, it looks right on my monitor.... skip

David wrote:
It looks good to me (Firefox 3.5.6, 1280x1024)

Interesting. I attempted to post this from IE8 1024x768 where the preview button doesn't work at all. stomp (I wonder if I've disabled something in IE that is causing this.)

And I see that the Online Dictionary Box is messed up a little in IE8 in the main posting window. C'est la vie.

AUGH!!! IE8 doesn't like it if I type below the text window and wants to jump around irritatingly. No wonder I loathe IE!

Oh oh HA!! It turns out that the submit button doesn't work in boo! IE8 boo! either.

I'm assuming that any of this forum's participants don't use IE. But even so, please do let me know if you run into other errors. I'll attempt to fix the problems with IE8 at some point.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, rats.

It turns out that I can't have a form within a form. So I'll have to move the Webster's Online Dictionary Box to a different spot on the page. Quel drag.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 19 Dec, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
Well, rats.

It turns out that I can't have a form within a form. So I'll have to move the Webster's Online Dictionary Box to a different spot on the page. Quel drag.

Okay. I moved the box WAAAAY down on the page below the submit button for this forum. I'll probably keep playing with the placement though.

TOO bad!!! I really liked having it beside the posting window.

If I were sophisticated enough, I'd be able to figure out how to get it to show on only the posting page and not on any of the other pages. Then I could place it where I want. stomp

(posting from IE8. no jumping, no weirdness)

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sun 20 Dec, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:

Okay. I moved the box WAAAAY down on the page below the submit button for this forum. I'll probably keep playing with the placement though...

Yes, too bad it's now buried at the bottom of the page. Hope you can find a more prominent location.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just used the dictionary box for the first time. I copied and pasted the phrase "C'est la vie" from ejm's post , selected the Non-English option and clicked "Search". I was very impressed by the speed of the results and amused that the phrase has both a French and a German definition. I chose to assume that ejm intended the German version.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 21 Dec, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I chose to assume that ejm intended the German version.

If I had known about that version, that's the one I'd have chosen. stomp

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » about etherwork forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: