discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

You Know You're Getting Old When:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: You Know You're Getting Old When: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was in a store which was playing "Layla" by Eric Clapton. I said to the clerk "That's one familiar song, eh!" He replied "Never heard it before". Then I said "It was hugely popular around mmmm...'79 or so" to which he replied "I wasn't even born then" !!!!

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: You Know You're Getting Old When: Reply with quote

Mats wrote:
Then I said "It was hugely popular around mmmm...'79 or so" to which he replied "I wasn't even born then" !!!!

Do you think the clerk had heard of Eric Clapton? (Even I, square squared, have heard of Eric Clapton. However, square squared that I am, I didn't know what "Layla" sounded like so I just listened to a recording by Clapton and the great guitarist, Mark Knopfler made in 11 May 2006.)

I had a similar experience last month. A group of us at work were talking about snow and someone asked if we remembered the blizzard of 1977, the year that some houses in northern New York State were virtually buried under snow. I was still in Alberta in 1977 so didn't remember the storm. The others remembered it very well. Except one, who said, "I was born in 1983".

Sobering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Blizzard_of_1977

Mats
registered

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

Just to clarify about "Layla" - the version in your link, Elizabeth, was recorded 36 years after the original release in 1970. When it was first recorded, it sounded like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN2TI4sKQdg&feature=related
I was only out by 7 years in my guesstimate - it became popular in'72.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clarification Reply with quote

I should have clarified that I knew the 2006 version was a reprise. Not to mention that Clapton is playing on an acoustic guitar for that.... Even though I am Square squared, I should have known that the following version is closer to the 1970 version than the Knopfler/Clapton 2006 version.

YouTube: Eric Clapton - Layla (live)

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Wed 14 Jan, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just before Christmas I was discussing movies with a collegue and she brought up Star Wars. I asked whether she watched the original cinema release. She just looked at me strangely so I asked why. She said "I'm only 30 you know!" Was 1977 really 32 years ago? Yikes!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: