discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Mon 09 Mar, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy Reply with quote

I almost couldn't finish "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It's. Very. Bleak. But the story is so compelling that I couldn't set it down.

Would I recommend it to others? I'm not sure. It's not for the faint of heart. Or anyone who plans to read it on the subway and doesn't like the idea of sitting slumped several stops past the destination, blubbering soundlessly at the desperation within.

Next book: a comedy please.

Questions for those who have already read it - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK YET AND ARE PLANNING TO (major spoiler):
Spoiler (highlight to read):
1.) Were the family that rescued the boy following the man and the boy for a while or had they just discovered them after they set off the flare?
2.) Were these survivors destined to wander from ruin to ruin until they could no longer find any food (IE: there would be no way to make the land arable or for the sun to appear during their lifetimes)?

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This review doesn't make me want to run out and borrow this book from the library. I don't have many comedies for suggestions but some excellent reads that aren't dark.

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Run by Anne Patchett
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka (that one is amusing)

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Mar, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I'm not sure yet whether I'm glad I persevered. It is well written.

But, but, but, did I really need to be brought down so far? (Not that it is a completely hopeless story.)

Thanks for the recommendations, MrsBrown.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: