discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

Things to check when getting a new mobile phone

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is your mobile phone perfect?
What mobile phone?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, there is nothing I would change.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, everything about it is wrong.
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
It's good enough.
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
I never use it anyway, so who cares?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 09 May, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Things to check when getting a new mobile phone Reply with quote

I got a new phone recently, a Nokia 2760. It wasn't until I started using it that I realized I missed checking for a few things.

• The volume control should be easily accessible while talking on the phone. With my old phone, the volume control was on the outside of the phone. With my new phone, it's a soft key that pops up a dialog to set the volume, useless while talking.
  • The time display on the front of the phone should be large and easily readable in the dark. The time display on mine is about 2 mm high. There is a nice large time display that flashes for about half a second after I close the phone, but there isn't any setting that I can find to make it stay longer.
  • There should be a volume control for the incoming text message alarm. Mine only has volume control for the phone call ring.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Sun 10 May, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Things to check when getting a new mobile phone Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
I got a new phone recently, a Nokia 2760. It wasn't until I started using it that I realized I missed checking for a few things.

We didn't think to check for things when we got our Nokia (doesn't say which model and I'm too lazy to look for the rulebook that came it) cellphone either. Next time, we'll look for the following:

• The volume on the ringtone should be OFF when "silent" is chosen. (What part of "silent" does Nokia have difficulty with? You wouldn't believe how loud the ringtone is when the phone is in "silent" mode....)
  • The hands-off answering/talking should be easily accessible without having to flip the top open

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Mon 11 May, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Things to check when getting a new mobile phone Reply with quote

[quote="ejm"]
Barbara wrote:

I finally got a cell phone here in Bkk. It has Thai on the keyboard, but it doesn't bother me. I don't know enough about it to like or dislike. It is silent when placed on silent. It does sent incomprehensible messages in Thai from unknown numbers. I think this is either spam or messages from the phone company. It was unlocked when I bought it here (new) so I should have no problem getting a sim card back in Canada..... at least l HOPE there are no problems when I get it back to Canada.

Which reminds me that I should turn off the noise, since it's now time for bed. Spammers might phone in the middle of the night.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to choose a new phone this week.

I want

* my upcoming appointments (or teaching timetable) displayed on the front page

* to send and receive email

* to open word, excel, powerpoint and pdf documents

* internet access

* a WiFi connection to connect to my internet router at home and to various hot-spots I frequent.

Only the final item on my list is missing from the phone I have now.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can get email and the internet and do many things I never thought a phone could (if that's what you call what one does with a cell phone) and say "hullo." I found it quite amusing to talk to Mr. CAM in Canada while in the rapid transit station in Bangkok (above ground). I haven't mastered dialing people in Bangkok, as I never know whether (or where) to put in the zeros that are on people's business cards.

BTW, I've just realized that phone etiquette is much better here in Bkk than when I first started teaching here in 2002. One no longer needs to suggest "shall we all put our phones on silent?"

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Tue 12 May, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!! And how big is the suitcase you have to carry that phone, David? And can you get one with a printer too? la la la ...I keep thinking of those boombox radios that people used to carry around in the 1980s.

But of course, I know that this sort of phone is actually tiny. A friend of mine has something along the lines of what you are looking for, David. I think (but am uncertain) that it is related to the ipod. Phoning is the only thing he cannot do with his machine, that is about 10cm x 7cm and not even 0.5cm deep. But this is good for him; he hates phoning.

CAM wrote:
phone etiquette is much better here in Bkk than when I first started teaching here in 2002. One no longer needs to suggest "shall we all put our phones on silent?"

I wish that everyone in Toronto would jump on that band wagon. I'm still amazed at the number of phones I hear "ringing" (playing those infernal midi songs) at concerts and on the subway.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Wed 13 May, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejm wrote:
...can you get one with a printer too? la la la
I want one with a printer!

ejm wrote:
I wish that everyone in Toronto would jump on that band wagon. I'm still amazed at the number of phones I hear "ringing" (playing those infernal midi songs) at concerts and on the subway.

Well, people do seem to need a reminder to turn off their phones during concerts, etc. But I don't mind phones on trains much, as it's a public place. The worst I experienced was when I was on a panel in Bkk, and my co-panelist answered his phone right in front of the audience!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) - archive All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: