discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

=,=`==ivy==`=,=

forum guidelines . eyeglasses  disclaimer - read me . recipes from our kitchen . blog from our kitchen 

how to put a Webster's Online Dictionary search box on your site

etherwork.net
discussions of various subjects - emphasis on food and recipes, travel, art, gardening

Register Log in Log in to check your private messages FAQ Memberlist Search Usergroups etherwork.net Forum Index

is this worth keeping?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should the forum be dismantled?
Yes, I spend all my time on Facebook
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No, I love coming in here to spout off
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
What forum? Where is it? How come I didn't know it was here?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

ejm
registered

Slogan:

Come to Life. Come to Laziness.

PostPosted: Wed 10 Jun, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: is this worth keeping? Reply with quote

In the thread entitled Where is everyone?
CAM wrote:
I haven't seen many postings here. Has everyone defected to Facebook? I like facebook, but I like the Forum, too.

I'm considering dismantling this forum because of low activity. I'd leave what is here as a "read only" archive.

What do you think?

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would miss this forum if it were to go. Facebook does not offer the same opportunity for extended discussions. If a Facebook account has a lot of activity, posts to it from a week or more ago are pushed out of sight are quickly forgotten. I get the impression that the number of response to Facebook posts are fewer and over a short time span. I have to admit that sometimes I feel a little embarrassed to using Facebook as it feels like typical attention-seeking behaviour. "Hey everybody, let's talk about me." That said, if nobody uses the forum, Facebook could be the next best thing until they mess it up, as I'm sure they will.
ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, David, for your response. I'll monitor this forum for a while. If I start noticing that it's too much work to deal with spammers trying to register (this is relatively under control for now - hope I haven't jinxed anything by saying that) or if upgrading to a new version becomes necessary, I'll fold it.

But I'm lazy and chances are that I'll just do my usual nothing at all.

David wrote:
if nobody uses the forum, Facebook could be the next best thing until they mess it up, as I'm sure they will.

This is exactly what I'm thinking will happen. My main objections to Facebook are:

1. what David said (topics pushed out of sight)
  2. it is exclusive, so any discussions are confined to the "friends". Here, anyone can see/join the discussion.
  3. limit to number of characters per answer making things very difficult for the verbose. I mean really, when two words will do, why choose only one? stomp
  4. zero stomping cat, yo-yoing pig, hulahooping cow, rope-jumping sheep smileys
  5. ads galore on the sidebar (how many ads do you see here?)
  6. constant distractions badgering people to add or poke friends, take quizzes, tattoo or cartoonize profile photos, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

MrsBrown
registered

Slogan:

Spice Cake--You're soaking in it!

PostPosted: Fri 12 Jun, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LIKE this forum. I may not put an answer of every thread but I always read them. I like the stomp and the skip and the la la la along with all the other and I especially like the oh boy! because it looks JUST like my dog. I also find this forum restful maybe because it doesn't have the ads, I don't know. At any rate, I hope you don't get rid of it.

oh boy! oh boy! oh boy! whoo hoo!

Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jun, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this forum. I don't have any new reasons to add to what David, ejm and MrsBrown already posted.

la la la

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks you guys for the responses. I won't dismantle it then. Unless, of course, it suddenly starts being spammed and/or compromised entirely.

CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Fri 19 Jun, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the forum. I can say things here that I can't say on facebook. I haven't visited as much lately, though.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably be posting here more frequently now that I'm preparing to leave Facebbook.
CAM
registered

Slogan:

Can't Do It In Real Life? Do It On Llizard's Forum

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I'll probably be posting here more frequently now that I'm preparing to leave Facebbook.

Reason for leaving Facebook? (if one needs one!)

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 07 Nov, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

Yay!!

I was very close to folding this forum but will hold on to it just a little longer.

David
registered

Slogan:

Peripheral Visionary

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAM wrote:
David wrote:

Reason for leaving Facebook? (if one needs one!)

In his blog David wrote:

I've had a blog for seven years now but posted nothing for the past eight months because of my interest in using Facebook. Initially I was still blogging and auto-importing my posts into Facebook but soon started to post directly into Facebook. Recently I have decided that I don't need to see everything that everyone on my Friends list posts and have been steadily removing people from the list of posts I see although I haven't removed anyone from my Friends list. The more I think about it, the more I realise that I need to start using my blog again. Facebook is immediate and short term and anything I post will disappear into the archives in a very short space of time whereas my blog posts stay around a lot longer and the archives seem simpler to access. If I do start blogging more often I suspect they will be more likely to be of the cathartic rants that I used to post. These may not be the sort of things I feel comfortable revealing to everyone on my Facebook list so I may stop importing them into Facebook.

My basic problem is that I am plugged into too many streams of data. Life is too noisy. I need more time with people and less time with machines.
Barbara
registered

Slogan:

Professional Loller

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David's blog wrote:
... Facebook is immediate and short term and anything I post will disappear into the archives in a very short space of time whereas my blog posts stay around a lot longer and the archives seem simpler to access. ...

For people who don't visit Facebook very often, it's just too difficult to find out what interesting things have been posted. I have only prevented Facebook from showing the posts of a couple of people because most people post both interesting and uninteresting things. But that means that when I haven't visited for say a week, I might have to click on "earlier posts" several times to see everything. I usually lose patience after doing it once.

For people who do regularly have interesting things to say, I'd much rather visit their blog once in a while than sift through Facebook. So I'm glad to hear you're using your blog again David - I had stopped visiting it.

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Sat 12 Dec, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:

For people who do regularly have interesting things to say, I'd much rather visit their blog once in a while than sift through Facebook. So I'm glad to hear you're using your blog again David - I had stopped visiting it.

I'm really glad that you are posting to your blog again too, David.

And how! Excellent new recent posts. I'm particularly fond of the Kelloggs post.

=======================
David's blog: http://davidstwistedmind.blogspot.com/ (I'm really envious of the "twistedmind" name. I wish I'D thought of that for my blog name!)

ejm
registered

Slogan:

PostPosted: Fri 09 Sep, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Can't quite bring myself to shut it down.... Reply with quote

Once again, I was very close to folding this forum. But I just can't quite manage to throw it away. I put all the old threads into a locked archive and have left this section open for new posts.

Just in case Facebook and/or Twitter looses its hold on everyone. la la la

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.#phpforum   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    etherwork.net Forum Index » anything and everything (within reason) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: